• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Please Help. 1999 Ford Contour

Swine70

New CEG'er
mother inlaws car died, it's a 1999 lx, mechanic said timing belt/chain beoke and that it caused 2 bent valves. it's the inline 4cyl. motor. is it worth the $750-$850 that he is wanting to charge her? she can't offered to get a new or even used car right now.
i thought this was a "non-interference" engine. are there 2 4 cyl. engines?
more info if it helps

VIN Code 65
Vehicle Line:Contour
Series:LX
Vehicle Type:Car/Minivan
VIN Code:3
Engine:2 L
Cylinders:4
Fuel:Gasoline
Horsepower:130 HORSEPOWER

Last edited:
thank you very much. i'll go see this mechanic today probably and see whats up.

didn't get a chance to get over there today, going in the morning. talked to the mechanic on the phone, he hasn't replaced the belt or anything else, he said he took a plug out and checked the compresion and could tell a valve was bent... how does this work if he can't crank the engine?

what should i do or say when i go see the car in the morning? i don't know a whole lot about the internal workings of this motor, i know the motor sputtered some before it died, she thought she had some bad gas. i don't wanna go look like a total idiot...

A compression test on an engine with a broken belt lis useless.

You should remove the car from that shop. He either doesn't know what he is doing or he is trying to BS you. Neither one is a good sign.

thank you very much.
car will be removed from his shop in the morning.

A compression test on an engine with a broken belt lis useless.

You should remove the car from that shop. He either doesn't know what he is doing or he is trying to BS you. Neither one is a good sign.

+100

I have dealt with 2 zetec motors, the Pre98 and post97, both of which have snapped timing belts, and both of which didnt encounter valve damage. Both of them ran wonderfully after the timing belts were replaced.

Back