• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Supercharger head unit options

stealthy3L

CEG'er
Hey, so I've been kicking around an idea I've once briefly heard.

I really don't care about the A/c, so that'll be removed.

I want to get a custom bracket made, and put a supercharger head unit where the AC compressor was, and have it run off a custom length [depending on pulley size] (stock location) serpentine belt. I know one rotrex unit can make its way in there, but its like, 2000 dollars.

I want to run the supercharger--->FMIC--->piping up to the TB almost exactly like a cold air intake would sit.. it would look very sleeper and would be a very simple piping setup, which means the most to me.

My question is, where can I get a headunit thats more like <1500, that is similar to rotrex units that'll fit in the A/C compressor region?

It's very hard to find a supercharger headunit under $1700. Jrak over on NECO was working on something similar to this.

I'm the one building the SC over on NECO posted in the link above. I should be finished fairly soon. I had to order a smaller pulley to clear the tensioner on the 01+ timing covers and I found a universal coolant tank that will fit to cut down on costs. I'll update the post on NECO when I get things running.

Last edited:
These guys already have one that goes on the zetec (focus but have been told it will work on the tour), maybe they got one for the 2.5L. I'll start to look and see what I can find.

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/atimustangf.htm

Nobody has one for the 2.5L, which is why I put one together. Fitting it onto the 2.5L is a nightmare as you can tell by my pictures. Vortech had one for a while and then discontinued it do to issues with the jackshaft.

The kit I have on my 3L right now is using one of the larger pulleys (3.33"). There are quite a few options below for increasing boost.

With my recent test drive 5psi of boost seems to come on immediately and then climp up to 7psi near redline. The power increases all the way to redline on this kit as with any vortech. I can imagine we'll see some good track times because traction down low isn't horrible. 1st is always a pain but it was before the supercharger in my 3L.

After talking with Vortech (headunit is a Vortech) they recommended ditching the intercooler for 7psi and below. The headunits aren't cranking out enough heat yet. The upgraded kits running higher boost will need an intercooler. I'm not running an intercooler and I've been watching the intake temps. 80F was about the highest it got after quite a few hard runs.

Vortech also states that a BOV isn't needed for this range (5-7psi). I don't think I"ll include one if it really isn't needed so I can keep the price down for everyone.

I'm sure this kit will put more than a few smiles on people's faces. Pricing should be comparable to the turbo kit, if not better.

BTW my daily driver is a stock CSVT so it will probably be one of the test mules for this kit also.

Last edited:
I think it is awesome you got that setup running! I'm looking forward to the numbers.

On the pulley options, what do you think it will take to run the smaller pulleys and what will you do about belt slip?
Also, can you post up a rough sketch of the drive system so we can get an idea of the thrusts on the bearings?
Don't worry, I'm 100% behind you making a good SC kit even though I'm a believer in the turbo. I'm not going to snag any of your ideas or anything, I just have my professional curiosity and I want to see how you solved the issue.

Right now my car seems to be perfectly happy with the current setup so we will sell this as the base kit. I'm keeping the kit on my car and driving it daily right now. For the higher boost kits we are working on a idler pulley that can be added to the current bracket. The pulley will push the belt down and give the supercharger pulley as much belt wrap as possible without having the belt rub on itself. This should solve any slipping issues with the high boost kits.

Just to be clear this is a vortech headunit. It is not the bearing failure mess that the TK kit was. The vortech was designed to have loads on the end of the shaft to drive the unit. It has a gearcase which is cooled with engine oil. If there are any issues with the supercharger itself it is covered by vortech for 3 years. This remains true as long as the supercharger it isn't modifed, which it isn't.

Any thoughts on http://www.rotrex.com/ superchargers?

Also related but unrelated(I looked briefly)
Any thoughts on removal(well going electric) of the waterpump
and running the S/C off that. I know its been sorta covered.

The Rotrex claims low to no vibration due to design?
Headunits are 1700-1900 retail.. so?

The rotrex units are not offered in counter clockwise versions so you would have to run a jackshaft similar to the original vortech kit to get a clockwise unit in there. As for using the water pump pulley... the pulley uses a tiny 3 rib belt which wouldn't be able to drive a supercharger and the cam wasn't designed to take the amount of tension a supercharger would put on it (that's not to say it wouldn't work but there are hurdles).

The rotrex units are not offered in counter clockwise versions so you would have to run a jackshaft similar to the original vortech kit to get a clockwise unit in there. As for using the water pump pulley... the pulley uses a tiny 3 rib belt which wouldn't be able to drive a supercharger and the cam wasn't designed to take the amount of tension a supercharger would put on it (that's not to say it wouldn't work but there are hurdles).

You just need an idler gear in your drive system.
It would be easier I think to find a ready made gear direction output assembly and use it on the front than a jackshaft.

Search industrial supplies for something that can sustain heat and about 10000rpm input speed. Might also be able to find something that has a speed increase as well as a directional change!

ive been looking at this snowmobile jackshaft i have sitting in my shop right now. it's long enough to go across the front of the engine, and has splines on each end. it's made of 4130 chrome moly and spins at least 10k rpm just on the snowmobile so im sure it could handle it. it's setup to have a snowmobile bearing on each side which are sealed and i could make cups for. then i'd just have to get custom pulleys that would go onto the splines and i could get a clockwise rotating blower on it ;) but that sounds like a hassle

Back