• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Hightower Paint

Blast47

Veteran CEG'er
After looking at the recent in depth howto on taking apart the headlights for a hightower mod, I've been inspired to possibly tackle that mod.

The only question I can't seem to find answers for in a search is what type of paint and what method of painting is found to be the best combo for this mod?

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but from looking at the photos from all the other cars I can see w/ this mod... you pretty much paint around everything except the chrome that houses the actual headlight? :confused:

After looking at the recent in depth howto on taking apart the headlights for a hightower mod, I've been inspired to possibly tackle that mod.

The only question I can't seem to find answers for in a search is what type of paint and what method of painting is found to be the best combo for this mod?

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but from looking at the photos from all the other cars I can see w/ this mod... you pretty much paint around everything except the chrome that houses the actual headlight? :confused:

for my black out of the headlights i used krylon paint. sand all the chrome off or scuff it then spray that piece. with at least 2 coats. i didnt use a clear but you can. for my grill ring i aigan used the krylon and then cleared it ill let you kno how that looks tomarrow morning.

If you're going for black, just remove the chrome. You wont get a better finish out of a can.

I used black krylon fuzion paint. all I did was clean everything and then put 3 coats of paint and put the lights back together

Just out of curiosity but shouldn't you use a high temp paint for the hightower mod? I don't know how hot it gets inside the headlight but after touching a bulb (on accident) after its been on for just 2 mins. I nearly burned myself.

WHY does everyone use paint if they are going black?!@! how many times do I have to tell you people that the chrome wipes off and leaves a better finish than you could possibly get from spray paint!

sorry to get a little off topic, but after talking to pud last night about how well my RTV held up after sealing the lights back up, i went outside and to my surprise, theres moisture in the drivers side headlight!!! :blackeye:

If you want your headlights black, just wipe some aluminum polish on whatever you want black and all the fake chrome comes of and leaves you with a shiny black plastic. :laugh: simple. i did it on my first csvt and it looked great, plus the headlights were sealed better then they were before when i got done

If you want your headlights black, just wipe some aluminum polish on whatever you want black and all the fake chrome comes of and leaves you with a shiny black plastic. :laugh: simple. i did it on my first csvt and it looked great, plus the headlights were sealed better then they were before when i got done

Been saying it for at least a year, but no body seems to be listening, or searching.

Been saying it for at least a year, but no body seems to be listening, or searching.

I'm listening...or.. reading rather.
and I did search :nonono: I didn't see anything under "hightower" "paint" "painting" etc..:shrug:

Thanks for the response though, I'll be sure to just wipe off the chrome. I'm all about making it easy on myself, and i'd rather do that than mess with some stupid painting in the headlamps mess... :blackeye:

I never made an actual thread about it, but ive replied to about 4 or 5 "how do I high tower y0" threads.

You'll need a light plastic polish, not a rubbing compound. and be sure to not get any where you dont want it because when you go to wipe it off it will mar r the chrome

What brand of polish did you use and also what brand/type of sealent?

To answer the what part question.... here is a couple pictures of the before and after of mine....

Before...
DSC04160.jpg

After...
DSC04174.jpg

I used paint as well.... and the eyelids are on the inside too.....

didnt see that till you pointed it out... thanks. now i just have to search for How-to on open the housing. looks great by way

Back