• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Will you keep you SVT? Will it be worth $$$$?

Will you keep you SVT? Will it be worth $$$$?

• Absolutely Nothing

Votes: 33 50.0%
  • $5,000

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • $30,000

Votes: 10 15.2%
  • $50,000 and up

Votes: 6 9.1%

• Total voters
Anyone who thinks their contour is going to be rare in a couple of years is crazy. Look at the SHO.. people arnt shelling out thousands for them right now..

If the contour was RWD and a coupe.. maybe....

they were never made to be collectible items. They are just normal cars.... so they will be worth nothing given that they make it 25-30 yrs HAHHAHA .... i give it max 10-12 hrs lifetime... my struts snapped in the driveway, what a POS. Never buying a ford again, gotta get rid of my Chrysler and get a 350z asap.

sports cars are collectible and some of those still dont make it.

Last edited:
they were never made to be collectible items. They are just normal cars.... so they will be worth nothing given that they make it 25-30 yrs HAHHAHA .... i give it max 10-12 hrs lifetime... my struts snapped in the driveway, what a POS. Never buying a ford again, gotta get rid of my Chrysler and get a 350z asap.

sports cars are collectible and some of those still dont make it.

To some of us there priceless like myself..I was thinking of selling the SVT but just not worth it..Never going to get much for it..Sounds like somone didnt install your struts right or they were just worn really bad.As far as 25-30 years..Some of the CEG'ers are half way there bud..12 years and counting..Well sounds like you should use public transportation..Every vehicle is going to half some kind of problems..Depends on how you drive them..Go get a 350Z depending on how you drive well determine how long it will last..And thats been a proven fact.Ive prove it myself many of times with my SVT.

Don't like your poll choices. I believe that (at current market prices) in 20 years a pristine low-mileage SVT will be worth ~20K to the right buyer. Certainly not more than that though, and much less of course for ones in less than brand-new condition.

They may have some value, But only if they are Low mileage and in excellent STOCK condition.................

They could bring good money due to relatively low production numbers, How much it all depends on the future buyer's desire to own one!

There is a similar discussion over on the Viper forums, especially if DC sells the "C" part. The general feeling is that if you want to hang onto your car to make money on it you'd be better off selling it and putting the money into stocks or some other type of investment.

There is a similar discussion over on the Viper forums, especially if DC sells the "C" part. The general feeling is that if you want to hang onto your car to make money on it you'd be better off selling it and putting the money into stocks or some other type of investment.
I believe a well maintained stock model will have value with enthusiasts, but that's not to be confused with keeping the car as an investment. Considering inflation and the cumulative cost of maintenance, you're not going to make money on it (unless you find the mythical idiot who throws money to the wind and must have your car). At most, you'd get enough for a downpayment on another car. Keeping a car like a CSVT is more about the value it holds for you.

To you younger guys who want to keep your CSVT "forever," take a step back and look at the bigger picture. The auto world offers too many alternatives to be married to one car forever. Enjoy your fun car while it's enjoyable, but know when it's time to move on. If you're not sure how to tell when that time comes, keep an expense ledger. Some of you are probably at that point where the money you've put into your CSVT would have been better used as downpayment on a newer, more reliable car that's just as fun. It's easy to say that you put too much money into it to sell it. You have to cut your losses at some point, so think ahead about minimizing those losses.

Last edited:
I dont think they will be worth much of anything in 20 years.I know mine wont last too many more years and as soon as the engine or something major goes Im buying something else.I know I could go the 3L route with it,but Id rather at that point go buy something newer and nicer.At my current average of 18k miles a year my cars life span might end sooner than later,I figure maybe 3 or so more years.Im at 99k now.When it is time to get rid of it Ill do so saying it was a fun ride and had a great bang for the buck.

yes i plan on keeping "classics" that are special to me from my era along with some vintage stuff like a 1954 chevy sedan delivery and a 1957 chevy belair

I don't have 100K+ miles on my car to keep it to sell it for money. I have it because it is a cheap fun source of transportation. Could a low mileage cherry version be worth something someday, probably, but I can tell you this much, it's not going to be mine! Let the modding begin!

I think they'll have a collector following in the future.

I will keep my cars for as long as I can. And I do plan to have more and have them paid off before I meet someone that tells me no.

There are less CSVTS than a 1969 Camaro z28

Wow. I was not aware of that.

Bottomline people... the car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. That said there is always someone out there that might have a "thing" for the SVT Contour, if they are looking for one 25-30 years from now and they really want it, they will pay for it.

I plan on keeping all of my cars. Hell if they're paid off and I enjoy them why not. It's not like I'm going to get anything for them. I know I have 16k+ in my Camaro and I'd be lucky to get 4.5k for it (unless I came across the right person). I bought my CSVT for 600 and I've stuck easily 4500 in it since then. I'll be dropping another 3500 by the time my turbo setup is complete. Am I going to find someone to buy my car for 8k+?... maybe, but it would have to be someone that is obsessed with the CSVT. For that price you can have a hefty down payment on a brand new car and a faster car at that, even if I do have it turbocharged.

There are less CSVTS than a 1969 Camaro z28

Except a camaro sticks out in the crowd whereas the Contour just hides in the crowd. The car is great ill give it that. But it didnt change anything, it didnt start any pandamonium, people didnt go crazy for it. That will always be reserved for Vettes, Mustangs, and Camaros.

I think the SVT badge is what will give it prominence among some car people. The more CSVTs that are well maintained and are good examples of the model, the better chance the car will have to get the classic status I think it deserves. They won't be blowing out of Barrett Jackson for $50K, but a good clean one might fetch about $8K (in 2007 dollars) in years to come.

I plan to keep my SVT for a VERY long time. I love my SVT and it was my first performance car. I keep all the parts I take off of it, so maybe someday it will be worth money and someone can still put it back to stock. Only thing that sucks is the motor isn't original (although still a 98). Oh well, I love the car either way:cool:

They are not going to be worth anything except to the people that are aware and a diehard for that specific model. People who think today's cars, outside of some very special cars, are nuts to think they are going to get a return on cars like the guys did on the clean 60s/70s muscle cars.

I used to think I was going to keep my CSVT for a very long time or forever...and well....most of you know what happened there.

Back