• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Does the trunk latch assembly pop the hood?

Lou3

CEG'er
My trunk doesn't pop up when I pull the lever or turn the key. There isn't a place for an external spring, and the parts guy at the Ford dealer thinks (but doesn't seem sure) that my car's latch assembly has an internal spring that causes the trunk to pop open. Do you know if he's right? I don't want to replace the latch assembly to find out it isn't the problem. Thanks.

if you search the archives, there's a part number for a trunk popper spring from a tauras (i think) that you can install. Didn't cost much last time I checked, but helps the trunk to "pop" a bit.

Trunk popper

Trunk popper

The part number for the trunk spring popper listed in the FAQ. The part number is 1S8Z-63431B04-AA.

The trunk popper spring is a nice addition. I picked one off SVTPETE and I love it. Cheap but effective. When you hit the trunk button on the fob it pops the trunk and you just lift. Before I had the spring installed my trunk would not unlatch all the way and I'd have to play w/ it and keep hitting the key fob button until it unhooked totally and could be lifted up. Now its just one push of the button every time.

I'm surprised that the trunks don't pop. What's the use of the lever in the car when I have to hold the key in the turned position while lifting the trunk?

It is supposed to open just a tiny bit, but there is plastic facing that gets worn & then the trunk release no longer functions properly.

and the struts wear out and might not help lift the trunk out of the latch either .... the spring is a nice touch, it pops the trunk just enough so it doesn't stay latched and you have to pull and unlock at the same time

Thanks, everybody. I didn't expect the trunk to pop and lift all the way up, but I want it to at least pop out of the hinge. If the mechanism in the latch assembly is prone to failure, I'll install the spring.

I'm very interested in this spring to pup the trunk open a little so that i dont have to open it with my key and physically lift it open. the trunk popper wont work bcuz its soo worn, the weight of the trunk lid keeps it latched.

Any Pictures of this !?

Nope, my trunk latch has never popped my hood. Never seen a car designed like that. I have to use the hood release to pop the hood.
HA! I can't believe I did that. And I can't even edit the title so I can deny any knowledge of what you're talking about. Oh well, good catch.

Last edited:
Back