• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CA Smog with chip installed

ScottK

CEG'er
Well, I had to smog again and I didn't want to remove my chip (it's a fordchips chip) because I get a downstream O2 heater sensor fault with it pulled out.

I knew from looking at OBD traces that my chip totally deletes all the downstream O2 monitors (no cat efficiency, no O2 slow, no heater circuit) as well as the EGR monitors. I hoped that the smog computer only looked for failed/incomplete monitors as opposed to expecting a set list to be there - and it looks like I was right. Since all the monitors that do exist had passed the check was happy.

It's nice not to have to buy a new downstream O2 sensor just to fix the heater circuit fault since the sensors arent really used anyway even if I had the chip out (MIL eliminators for mystery mod done before I got the chip).

Anyway I passed - good for another 2 years. I think I might have a bad plug or wire though as I was RIGHT at the limit for low speed HC - limit of 56 PPM, measured 56 PPM while the CO was exactly at the AVG mark (.02%) so I don't think I'm just running rich, NO was measured at 0 PPM. The HC dropped to 21 at 25MPH test, still above the average of 7 but only half the max allowed of 40.

Whatever - I passed and am good for another 2 years.

EEEEEEEnteresting... I JUST detuned (XCAL), and immediately threw a bad O2 sensor (upstream) code, bad MAF connection code, and OBDII test-fail. I'm going to retune it, methinks, and see if that fixes the codes; if it does, I guess I'll try to smog it that way, although I do have headers, so it might not pass. Sigh... stupid sensors....

so are you saying your egr is not being read? I tried to smog it with the chip and it wouldn't let me because it didn't have the egr tests. stupid tune. argh

Mine doesn't list egr under the monitor list when I look at it with my OBD reader.

Did they say your egr monitor wasn't ready or that it was missing entirely?

Scan with the chip in:

chip.jpg

Normal Scan without chip:

no_chip.jpg

Looks like it deletes just about everyhting lol - guess every once in a while I should pull it to make sure things are still working.

Mine doesn't list egr under the monitor list when I look at it with my OBD reader.

Did they say your egr monitor wasn't ready or that it was missing entirely?

they said that it was not reading, I had been driving the car around for an hour so I know it was ready to go. If I remember correctly the tune deleted the egr function, and I think that the computer doesn't read it at all any more. we shall see, I have a few other things that I have to do first before I can try to remove the chip and see if it will run prorperly

Another neat feature of mine is - when I pull the chip out all the montiors get set to complete, so if I ever had to pull the chip it would say all tests are complete.

Not sure if all chips do that or it's something special fordchips did for mine?

Back