• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Safest / Best way to remove Rear View Mirror Bracket?

m4gician

Hard-core CEG'er
I have everything I need to install my Auto dim mirror with compass but I need to know how to remove the OEM bracket from the windshield WITHOUT damaging the windshield or the bracket. I know it's fused on there really tight with adhesive, so would heating something up be a good idea?

I've read about people using razor blades (because they're so thin) but what about a small flat head screw driver? What would be the best procedure after getting the right tools?

Thanks in advanced guys.

i wouldn't use a screwdriver...first i'd take the mirror off the metal piece that's glued to the glass. then i'd get some metal wire and try to get it between the glass and the metal piece and pull back and forth.

then clean the glass with a razor.

but i dunno...i'v enever taken one off intentionally!

I've removed one in the past by gently twisting it with a pair of pliers. I believe it was summertime (at a junkyard) when I did this, so the glass and bracket were hot. Heat the bracket with a hairdryer or hot air gun (and park in the sun) before you try this. Then again, a glass shop may remove one for you for a nominal fee.

I want to install my gentex mirror but I'd probably have to wait for summer time when there's a lot of humidity to do it. I have a heat gun so I could try it that way, but I need it to be a uniform heat rather than me just blasting it. I'd need an underground garage or heated garage to work on it and then when I attach the new one it has to cure as well so I might as well save this projector for the summer.

I've removed one in the past by gently twisting it with a pair of pliers. I believe it was summertime (at a junkyard) when I did this, so the glass and bracket were hot. Heat the bracket with a hairdryer or hot air gun (and park in the sun) before you try this. Then again, a glass shop may remove one for you for a nominal fee.

On both of the mirrors that I have installed, they have fit perfectly on the OE mounting tab.

Okay, so basically heat is a definite requirement for this install so either get a heated garage or wait until blarring summer heat rains down :). I really don't have that many options so I guess i'll have to hold off my excitement for now ...

I was adjusting the mirror in my 95SE, when I had it three years ago, and it just came off. It was summer, hot as hell, humid, and raining. I would say wait for a rainy or humid day because I found the glue to soften up then, and then take a hair dryer to it.

Back