• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Parallel or Series?

CSVT1214

Addicted CEG'er
I have an Alpine V12 MRV-F357 amp, and I just picked up a new 07 Kicker Comp VR (4 ohm DVC).

I know very little about car audio, so I need some help with the sub wiring. Should my sub be wired in parallel or series?

Here is the specs on my amp:

Features

12 dB / Octave LP/HP Continuously Variable Crossover (30-200 Hz)
1-Band Parametric EQ (30-200 Hz)
Subsonic Filter (15 Hz)
Extra Large Gold Plated Terminals with Wire Insert Capability
Top Panel Power LED
4V Input Capability

Multi-Channel Amp Specifications

Amplifier Type: Multi-Channel
RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 30W x 4 + 100W x 1
THD at 4-Ohm RMS Power: 0.08%
Bridged RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 80W x 2 + 100W x 1
Speaker Level Inputs: no
Preamp Outputs: yes
Built-In Crossovers: HP/LP
Bass Boost: 12 dB
Frequency Response: 10-50,000 Hz
Signal to Noise Ratio: 105 dB
Fuse Rating: 2x25 amps

Wire the voice coils in parallel. Two 4 Ohm coils in series will give you 8 ohms, so in parallel they will give you 2 ohms, which the amp looks like it can handle.

I have a question to add to this

Say you have a DVC sub, and a 4 channel amp. You want to bridge the 4 channel amp to 2 channels. The problem is the sub has one connection and uses jumpers to achieve series and parallel.

I don't think you would want to run the 2 bridged channels in to the same connection or doesn't it matter

I have a question to add to this

Say you have a DVC sub, and a 4 channel amp. You want to bridge the 4 channel amp to 2 channels. The problem is the sub has one connection and uses jumpers to achieve series and parallel.

I don't think you would want to run the 2 bridged channels in to the same connection or doesn't it matter

Did the sub not come with a wiring diagram?

yes it does but there is only one input on the sub, Then you use a jumper to achieve parallel or series.

Similar to this

I take it I just wire to the prongs that you connect the jumper to
6b99_1.jpg

I have an Alpine V12 MRV-F357 amp, and I just picked up a new 07 Kicker Comp VR (4 ohm DVC).

I know very little about car audio, so I need some help with the sub wiring. Should my sub be wired in parallel or series?

From Alpine's website:

Are the MRV Series amplifiers 2 ohm stable?
08/21/02-Most of the MRV Series amplifiers are not 2 ohm stable unless it is specifically designed to be used as a mono amplfier.​

I also downloaded the owners manual from Alpine for your amp and while it says channels 1-4 are 2 ohm stable (they'd have to be since you can bridge 1-2 and 3-4), Channel 5 only references 4 ohm capability.

This means you should not wire the dual 4 ohm voice coils in parallel to the MRV multichannel amp you have.

So in this case your options are:

1 Wire it in series, presenting an 8 ohm load on the mono channel
2 Return the sub and exchange for a sub with a single 4 ohm voice coil
3 Return the sub and exchange for a sub with dual 2 ohm voice coils wired in series (for a 4 ohm load)
4 Return the sub and exchange for a sub with dual 8 ohm voice coils wired in parallel (for a 4 ohm load)

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Damn, I had a feeling that's what you were going to say.

Well in that case, my C-VR is now for sale. Anyone interested, send me a PM.

Back