• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rear sway bar end links??

kw27

New CEG'er
I changed my rear struts this weekend and noticed my rear sway bar end links are wore out, and making noise. Where is the best place to get them?? I checked Autozone, Advance, and Napa. All they have is the lower bushing not the link. I would love to go to an aftermarket link if they are out there, if not I will just go to Ford. Where does everyone around here buy them???

I ended up going to the Ford dealer a couple of years ago after not being able to find them aftermarket at that time.

They're so cheap that the aftermarket probably didn't bother...

Steve

Bradness also makes HD rear endlinks. I'm sure they're similar to Stazi's... either of their endlinks would be MUCH better than OEM.

Bradness also makes HD rear endlinks. I'm sure they're similar to Stazi's... either of their endlinks would be MUCH better than OEM.

+1

but as a friendly side note there is nothing complicated about them that prevents you from piecing together the parts. but I recomend just hitting the easy button and going through one of them, I did.

I don't think there is anything wrong with replacing them with new stock or sperical endlinks. The poly bushings take some monitoring [additional routine maintence checks]... the stock ones are more fire and forget. The point is to replace them, either way you win.

I've had a set on my car for well over 6 yrs. now. The stock end links, like most other suspension parts for our cars, are disposable. However, they're cheap too - at least at this point in time.

Also, you cannot make them up yourself UNLESS you have access to a machining facility. WHY- because the end links must be in a vertical orientation (90 degree angle from control arm) after they're connected to the sway bar. This requires a spacer between the rod end and the sway bar. Without the spacer, the end link leans inwards and puts an angular stress on both the rod end and the bushings resulting in premature wear.

There is 1 proviso to this discussion. IF you have any type of aftermarket (bigger) rr sway bar it will eat up and spit out the stockers at an alarming rate due to the extra force channelled through them. Therefore, unless you like changing them regularly get the better spherical rod end types for use with any aftermarket sway bar.

Last edited:
Custom Rod Ends

Custom Rod Ends

I just made my own up from parts from McMaster Carr (www.mcmaster.com) and used poly end link bushings from Autozone. If you buy the rod ends with a stud (instead of just a hole for a fastener), the spacing/offset works out great. Add a Roush bar and you are all set.
Roush_Bar_End_Links.jpg

Note - do not buy the energy suspension bushings shown in the picture - they have to be modified to make them fit. The swaybar is a tight fit on Contours.

How much are your endlinks Bradness?
Nathan

They normally sell for $65 + shipping. If you're buying other parts from me, I'll discount the total order somewhere between 5-10% depending on the no. of items you purchase.

Craig: I've found that using those type of rod ends causes the nut portion to chew in to the hole in the sway bar eventually loosening up the assembly and enlarging the through hole. Your experience?

Last edited:
Back