• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Motor Work

Shelbycrash

New CEG'er
as it seems to go, a week before im ready to sell my car i get a knock. apparently a wrist pin is loose on one of the pistons. im estimating about 700 bucks or so to fix it.(thats if my mechanic doesnt pull the motor completely out, and luck have it be an outer cylinder so he can tilt the crank) im planning on selling the vehicle so it wouldnt be smart to put a new short block in it, but it would be worth it to fix right? its a 99 SVT with 77K. what do you guys think itd be worth if i fixed it.

I don't know how everyone else here feels, but, personally I would not do an engine like that. When I have an engine failure of that nature I pull it and do a rebuild. I am sure others will disagree, but I would not do just a piston, rod, bearing etc on just one cylinder. Just my two cents!!

well it sounds like a wrist pin, but why would i put a new 2.5 or 3.0 short block in or rebuild the whole bottom end if i need to sell the car. i also wanted to get some opinions on how much the car would sell for. its in really good shape otherwise except for a few dings and scratches

Do your research and you'll realize that these engines are very prone to spun bearings. I'll give you three fiddy for it.

well it sounds like a wrist pin, but why would i put a new 2.5 or 3.0 short block in or rebuild the whole bottom end if i need to sell the car.

Id imagine the most you could get for it with a toasted motor is about $1000-2000 if its clean like you say. Put in $1000 for a new 3.0L short block (assuming you do the work yourself) and you can at least get $5000 for it. That is, unless you dont want to put any money into and just want to sell it. Either way, somebody on here would love to buy it for cheap, swap a 3.0L in into it, and make a nice profit. ;)

Last edited:
i would think if it was a bearing then the knock would be at all temps, but its only when the car is warm, sounds like something bottom end though. i dont see why just fixing the one piston isnt a good idea unless i was keeping it. why dump extra time and money in a new short block for a few hundred on the back end. what i really want to know is if the blue book on my car, in fair condition=5400, is a realistic figure.

Back