• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Frustrating isn't it?

TourEnvy

Hard-core CEG'er
Ever have more knowledge about the work your getting done or the part you are buying, them the person selling to you or doing the work?

I recently find that this happens and I wish I could just do it myselp but dont have the means. Does this happen to anyone else?

Yes. I spent $$ to get most of the tools and do it myself rather than pay someone else to do the work. Getting all the tools and such isn't cheap at first, but once you have them, you wind up saving lots of money in the long run. Case in point, by installing my struts/springs myself, I used the $$$ that would have gone to labor to buy better parts, ie. the BAT kit.

All the time... luckily I have the resources to do it all myself.

Really. I don't trust many people with my car so all the work is done "in house".

I hear ya Scott.
Once you have the proper tools you are good to go. With all the how-to's and knowledge on this forum, you can fix your own car. Next up, header install. :cool:

Yep I realized this at a young age and started doing everything myself. That turned into moding the car. It's a vicious cycle.

Luca-a hinge head 13mm gear wrench is your friend.

I try and do everything that i can myself. Before i knew anything about tours when i first got mine it needed a new reverse switch. Well i found out shortly why i need to do all the work, cause when you pay $207 for a new reverse switch to be put in, you're bending over.

In my case, i have only brought my cars to the mechanic once. it was my saturn, that needed a timing belt. It was okay experience. I only brought it there because i was in school. All other work and mods I have done my self, Mostly on my mustang. Now I cant do powder coating, so i take my stuff somewhere and its totally idiotic. The stuff I can do i will, my dads a machinest by trade, we have garage that fits six cars and it has two and half now and the rest is with tool, etc. Like i always say I f you want it done right do it yourself.

People always ask how do i know about cars and such, i tell them to read and listen.

Frustrating.

I hate when i go car shopping or listen to people talk about their own car they know nothing about, its the most frustrating thing i have to walk away cuz i can't stand to listen to the bs dribble out of their mouth

I'm not as fortunate when it comes to repairing my car tho, i find myself @ the mercy of a mechanice sometimes if its something i can't do. except i try and bargain or "shop" around for decent labor prices :cry:

In my experience, there really aren't too many repair jobs that most people couldn't do with a decent set of tools and a Haynes/Chilton's/Ford CD. The worst part is getting over just rippping into your car, and knowing you CAN put it back together again. Once you get over that fear, it's just following the directions and getting experience.

Yes. I spent $$ to get most of the tools and do it myself rather than pay someone else to do the work. Getting all the tools and such isn't cheap at first, but once you have them, you wind up saving lots of money in the long run. Case in point, by installing my struts/springs myself, I used the $$$ that would have gone to labor to buy better parts, ie. the BAT kit.

Scott, any chance you would be interested in doing another strut/spring install? I just got Koni's that need installed. Let me know what you will work for: beer, food, money and maybe we can arrange something. I would be willing to help of course. I'm not the type to just stand and watch. In fact I like to do everything I can myself. I just don't have the tools to make this job easier(spring compressor, air tools, etc.) I took a look at MapQuest and you are only about an 1hr from me :)

Luca-a hinge head 13mm gear wrench is your friend.

Oh, don't I know.
We've already done two header installs. My daughter's BF is getting headers so that will be three. If Scott (getsum111) was closer, we could go for a fourth and help him with his install. :D

Scott, any chance you would be interested in doing another strut/spring install? I just got Koni's that need installed. Let me know what you will work for: beer, food, money and maybe we can arrange something. I would be willing to help of course. I'm not the type to just stand and watch. In fact I like to do everything I can myself. I just don't have the tools to make this job easier(spring compressor, air tools, etc.) I took a look at MapQuest and you are only about an 1hr from me :)

Sure, where are you at. This weekend I'm gonna be gutting some precats, and in a few weeks doin' a header install.:cool: My weekends are kinda busy right now, with a kung fu class from 3-5 on Saturdays. But I think we could do it. Let me know when you have some free time. We did mine in a day, so yours should be similar. I have a compressor, and just rent a spring compressor from the local autozone.

Sure, where are you at. This weekend I'm gonna be gutting some precats, and in a few weeks doin' a header install.:cool: My weekends are kinda busy right now, with a kung fu class from 3-5 on Saturdays. But I think we could do it. Let me know when you have some free time. We did mine in a day, so yours should be similar. I have a compressor, and just rent a spring compressor from the local autozone.

Great! I'm located in South Park. I also have a set of WR headers that I would love to have installed. I have the WR Y-pipe (along w/ flex pipe) as well but I guess I should not put that in if I am getting the turbo in the future.

Do you have experience doing headers or is your first attempt w/ doing them? I'm not sure what all I need for the install. I know I need MIL eliminators but I'm pretty much a noob on the subject so I'm not exactly sure what to get or what else I need. I've read you can make them for fairly cheap but again no clue on how :crazy:.

I'm pretty much set on getting the B&G sports (have Eibach's but want something different) to go along w/ my Koni's so hopefully I can get a new pair soon (trying to find a good deal on a set). I also want to try to put a coat of rustoleum clear or something on the Koni's to try to prevent rust/chipping.

Maybe when you are doing your header install in a few weeks I can swing up then. If I don't have the springs by then maybe we can just bang out both of our header installs. :)

What is hard, is not having the technical backing to know what a problem MIGHT be, it's causes. and it's solutions. But then you have your trusty OBD-II scanner for that now don't you?

Back