• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

N2O - First Gear Cancellation

Matty K

Hard-core CEG'er
Hey guys,

With the car finally up and running again, I'm starting to fine-tune my nitrous setup (as in, I realized it's going to be totally useless in first gear). Here's the setup as it stands: NOS wet kit, with a WOT switch, pressure fail-safe switch, and MSD window switch engaging at 3400 and disengaging at 6400. So, my question is is there a method for cancelling the spray in first gear only? My backup method is to order a Varad Racerboy shift knob and just manually engage the system on the 1-2 shift. My master switch is mounted on the center console, so reaching for that is always an option, but I'd really rather not. So, thoughts my spray-fed bretheren?

i run off a button myself. i have not been able to find anything capable of holding nitrous out of first gear but i suppose there would be a way, maybe with a microswitch under the shifter that will be engaged only when the shifter is in first gear, etc. but personally, i am big on the button, because i can make it usable by engaging nitrous at different rpm's. example: in first gear i spray from 5000-7000 and every gear after that i spray right off the shift (mine holds 5000 rpm in basically any gear after i shift) my new setup is going to have a dual stage with 2 75 shots and i will run a window switch on one kit, but it's going to be too much nitrous for first gear so i will be right back in the same boat as you :( let me know if you figure anything out please!!!!

i run off a button myself. i have not been able to find anything capable of holding nitrous out of first gear but i suppose there would be a way, maybe with a microswitch under the shifter that will be engaged only when the shifter is in first gear, etc. but personally, i am big on the button, because i can make it usable by engaging nitrous at different rpm's. example: in first gear i spray from 5000-7000 and every gear after that i spray right off the shift (mine holds 5000 rpm in basically any gear after i shift) my new setup is going to have a dual stage with 2 75 shots and i will run a window switch on one kit, but it's going to be too much nitrous for first gear so i will be right back in the same boat as you :( let me know if you figure anything out please!!!!

My Zex window switch allows you to choose which gears you want to be spraying in. Pick one up..they are awesome

It goes by WOT and how many times it reaches it then it blocks it out. Its hard to explain. You program it to not spray the first time WOT is on or how ever many gears you want to eliminate and it will spray the time after.

Doesn't the Venom kit offer full custimization? You could spray different percentages at differnet rpm's....I'm sure that would help on the 1st gear + spray issue.

yeah i think the venom kit has that. ZEX's switch is something i have never heard of, but i dont run a WOT switch because ive had WOT switches fail in the past and not that its a big deal but it bothers me when i hit the button and it doesnt go. i like my button honestly but maybe i can figure something out so only stage1 sprays in first gear. that'd be nice :)

yep thats why im going to have two bottles in the car at all times, and two full ones at home, and 3 tanks next to the fill station. if im going to do this nitrous thing, im going to do it right ;) running out sucks

Puffer had a micro switch on the gear lever that engaged in 1st and reverse I believe. Engaging the switch (selecting 1st or reverse) hit the switch and interupted the system. Simple and effective.

As for running out, take 2 bottles:
[image]http://www.contour.org/carprofile/files/871/img/Trunk_1.jpg[/image]

*Shameless I miss my car whorage........

it didnt work. try again i wanna see :)

two bottles should look sexy in the trunk. i thought about three, but then we're just creating sag and carrying around too much weight. hehe

Trunk_1.jpg

Puffer had a micro switch on the gear lever that engaged in 1st and reverse I believe. Engaging the switch (selecting 1st or reverse) hit the switch and interupted the system. Simple and effective.

This sounds interesting... that may be the way to go. The other route is to pick up something like this, though obviously in a different color and from somewhere that stocks them. My concern then is some rewiring, which isn't a big deal, but also how that thing would mount to my B&M.

You could get a BMN window switch. It's what i have. IUt has a feature that "locks out" the nitrous from spraying in 1st gear.

Google it...they have a website.

I already have an MSD switch, but it may be worth pulling it out and installing this to have the first gear lock out. One Q, though... their site says:

Do not hook ANY window switch or WOT switch directly to solenoids. They are used to supply small signals to trigger relays for activating the solenoids.

Why?

Solenoids have a large current draw when they first turn on. That can either burn out the window switch or weld it on. :shocked:

Relays typically are built for bigger inrush currents. In other words, a standard 20A automotive relay can run a solenoid without any problems.

HTH,
BP

Solenoids have a large current draw when they first turn on. That can either burn out the window switch or weld it on. :shocked:

Aaaah.... that makes sense. Well, sort of. My MSD switch, and their's too, if I read their description correctly, provides the ground signal to the solenoid. So I'm not sure how it could be damaged.... Actually, in my setup, the only things that have direct 12v pass-through are the master switch, which is just a straight-up switch, the WOT switch, and the fuel pressure fail-safe... so I'll wire in a relay for those, methinks.

Back