• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Suspension Problem?

smokespeed

CEG'er
While driving my car over bumps and rough pavement my front end seems to be loose and the suspension is VERY CLUNKY. I was wondering if anybody knows what kind of suspension/axle things I need to check for and is suspension something a newbie can tackle. So far I have changed the power steering hose, changed front brake pads, oil change, tranny fluid change, New Paint and detailed interior.

Check your swaybar endlinks and lower control arm ball joints. Both of those will make clunking noises if worn out.

Almost definately sway bar endlinks. Ball joints aren't common to fail on contours.

When I changed all four of my sway bar end links my car's suspension was dead silent.

...Ball joints aren't common to fail on contours.
Mine failed 13 months ago and failed again this month. I think it was because my sway bar end link was shot (or maybe because the Contour goes everywhere! Including unpaved roads). Changed both and I am now cruising again. :cool:

Last edited:
hello, also lift the front end (both sides) and look at the control arm bushings in the front on either side. if you have a pry bar or large (large!) screwdriver go between subframe and control arm and see if there is movement. this was very common on duratech models. also as stated above sway bar links, you can never go wrong replacing those if they have not been changed. :cool:

Back