• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Front Coil Springs 1998

Dec1000

CEG'er
Anybody with a 1998 should check your front springs for breaks. Mine just failed inspection because one was broke. Ford has a 10 year 150,000 recall warranty. I got my front 2 replaced for free.

I just did as well , failed NYS safety inspection. No questions asked at the dealer either. Recall pertains to cars manufactured in the KC plant.

Thanks for the heads up. I changed mine late last year (around 10.5 years). Most of my "issues" occurred right after the (extended) warranty expired. :laugh: :shrug: :laugh: . I decided to change mine before the springs broke.

If it is sagging on one side or both sides (or four if it is not a car with lowered springs mod), then chances are it has (a) broken springs. Note that if you wait for it to break, there is a chance that you might be looking at the springs "cutting" into the fender cover, strut tower, etc.

I had the same thing happen to my SVT, Ford wouldn't cover it. Recall covered every model EXCEPT the SVT, oh well just gave me an excuse to lower it I guess.

I had the same thing happen to my SVT, Ford wouldn't cover it. Recall covered every model EXCEPT the SVT, oh well just gave me an excuse to lower it I guess.

Same thing happened to me, realized they were broke and picked up a very slightly used set of koni's and lowered it. Although, I couldnt tell much difference since when I was doing it I realized the other side was broke as well. Must have been that way for a long time.

Ford Contour Is So Reliable In a Tricky Way That My Extended Warranty Is Not Used

Ford Contour Is So Reliable In a Tricky Way That My Extended Warranty Is Not Used

I also spent $600 and bought 4 years extended warranty. It turned out that the parts covered by the extended warranty are so reliable that my extended warranty never got used.
During these four years I have normal amount of repair, none of them covered by the warranty. One repair was rejected after referring to the fine print on one of several pages.
After the warranty years I have more or less normal amount of repair. I never bother to check, but I have the impression that the previously covered parts started to break down.
I have to admire the manufacturer and warranty designer. They know so much about the parts and typical usage to make sure that the warranty seems to cover a lot, but ends up never used. I only wish that they could use this kind of knowledge and talent to build a better car to begin with.

Back