• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How many miles on your tour? when were your problems?

99 SE - 187K miles

99 SE - 187K miles

1999 SE, 2.0 Zetec w/MTX.
I'm the original owner of this car.

Routine maintenance as follows:

Oil changes every 7K w/ synthetic oil (mostly Mobil 1)
Cooling systems flushed and refilled every 3 years.

Warped dash was replaced twice while under warranty, last time with revised part (after recall). Dash still rattles and squeaks, though.

80K - Alternator and serpentine belt replaced
90K - Spark plugs replaced
110K - Front brakes and rotors replaced. (Pads still had some wear left, but the rotors were worn out!)
150K - Replaced resistor module for blower motor control.
170K - Ignition lock stopped releasing the key. I replaced it the lock, but it didn't help. I figured out how to get it to release and I just live with it that way.
180K - Rear suspension started squeaking. Haven't done anything about it yet, but I'm planning to...
186K - I finally found out that this car has a timing belt! (I'd been told by the dealer that it didn't have one.) Replaced timing and serpentine belts, along with all idlers and tensioners, water pump (original was still fine, it turned out) plugs and ignition cables.
187K - Blew fusible link on ignition circuit. I still have no idea why, but I'm carrying a spare now - just in case.

It's on it's third set of tires and second battery.

Car does not leak or use any fluids and runs beautifully. I average 32-34 MPG in current use (20% city/80% highway), but have gotten as much as 37 MPG in all-freeway driving.

I have a couple of recent issues, such as hard starting (suspect IAC) and a possible worn top motor mount, but nothing too major. I plan to drive this thing as far as I can get it to go. I'm aiming for 300K...

1998.5 Contour SVT
81,500 mi
--
Mobile 1 Synthetic Oil every 4-5k miles and normal maintenance.
--
Replaced:
1 Battery
1 wheel bearing, needs to be replaced again
Spark plugs n Wires

That's about as major as it gets, w/o including tires/filters/lights :laugh:

Last edited:
1998 SVT, bought 11/99 with 19k miles. Currently 121k miles. Mobil 1 every 4-5k miles.

Replaced struts, springs, IAC, plugs/wires several times, LCA's, one wheel bearing, EGR, headlights, A/C clutch shim, sunroof motor. Trans synchros on 2nd and 3rd not in great shape.

Overall pretty reliable IMHO.

290,000 on the clock. I'm trying to get my posts up as I'm going to part it out as the headgasket blew and it's not worth it to replace it. Almost all the body parts are in real good shape, etc.

Anyway.. water pump went toast too... but that's about all I know (just bought it)

:)
*I'm no con-artist either... I have MANY references and great credit on other car forums.*

update

update

i hit 75k and the window regulator/motor assembly went out on the passenger front door.
As good measure i am replacing the waterpumper before summer. Also putting on new trz yoko tires.

There was a thread a few months ago but I will continue where I left off rather than post what was previous.

2-07, 10 years 9 months, New rear springs and struts (vibration completely gone. I had previously blamed the vibration on Sears for not balancing my front tires well).

4-07, (10 yrs 10 months) starter 3 times in the past 3 months had the weird stripped gear sound. Will get that taken car of next week.

5-07, last week (10 years 11 months)at 113K miles, temperature needle went to Red. Stopped car by Interstate and called AAA for a tow. Opened hood, nothing interesting, turned on heater, no heat came out. Yep, WP broke. Removed thermostat and tested. Tested fine but have a new in. WP black impeller was split in two. Have a new white plastic impeller one.

Expect to spend about $3K in repairs and maintenance this year. I have already spent about $800 this calendar year. Not sure if I will send it in for the starter. I was quoted $400 and may just bite the bullet rather than have the car up on ramps as I don't have time to mess with it. Only can work on the car in the evenings for an hour or so. With the pollen count so high this spring, the outdoors don't seem too much fun anymore. :blackeye:

Last edited:
So where is the breaking point for you Tony? In another thread I think I stated that I would have to spend about another grand after already spending 800 on the timing belt. Other than the repairs I have to come up with the money with, if there was much more than that, I'd seriously be thinking about finding another vehicle to replace this one.

So where is the breaking point for you Tony? ....
ROTFL. :laugh: I really do not know. Maybe $4000/year with no end in sight and more than 5 service calls a year (AAA). :shrug: So far I've only used AAA once this year for the WP. I will probably send it in next week for the starter ($400). And it is time for an alignment. I try to align the car twice a year as I drive a lot (expect at least 25K miles this year).

Of course, I consider a lot of the cost of the repairs as regular maintenance. A WP which lasts 11 years is regular maintenance to me. So is a 11 year old starter (it hasn't really broken yet). I know my brakes won't last another year (it has been 3.5 years and 47k miles). For that, I am looking at another $500 if I send it in.

I hear ya on that. Just wish things didn't happen all at once. Than again I have been putting a couple things off due to lack of funds.

Though if I was you, I think I would be putting that ride to bed and looking for something a tad more reliable.:shrug:

195k original owner. Only thing I've replaced (besides regular matinence) was the fuel pump which went out at around 100k. Still on the original clutch and I just replaced the original battery 6 months ago. I'm pretty damn proud of my little Contour.

I hear ya on that. Just wish things didn't happen all at once. Than again I have been putting a couple things off due to lack of funds.

Though if I was you, I think I would be putting that ride to bed and looking for something a tad more reliable.:shrug:

That's where the problem is. If you put off maintenance, it becomes a costly repair down the road. I try not to do that. And even if I get a new(er) car, I would still be spending a lot on maintenance. It is a car and it will need maintenance if you drive it.;)

I got mine last fall with 53k original miles, excellent condition. It now has 63k miles and I'm getting ready to do some moderate performance mods. I've had to replace the resister pack, power window switch, rack and pinion, power steering line (pressure side) and am getting ready to replace the sliding contact (aka clockspring) in the steering column. A bit many problems for the mileage, but eh, it's 11 years old :cool:

4 cylinder contour with 93,XXX miles on it now.

My problems started on 80,000 miles need to replace right wheel bearing, one o2 sensor, MAF sensor, broken right spring and that is about it. Its pretty much been well taken care of and no problems now...knocking on wood.:cool:

'99 Contour Sport SE

'99 Contour Sport SE

Hello all.

I have a '99 Contour Sport SE with 166K on the odometer. Bought the car new in October of '99. Other than being on its fourth fuel pump, the cars has been great. Obviously it's my daily driver, still looks pretty good too. Ford told me my motor mounts are shot. I'm thinking it must be the lower ones because the ones on top look fine to me. If there is a post anywhere on how to replace the lower motor mounts, the link would be much appreciated.

Still enjoying the 'Tour!

Later.

Hello all.

I have a '99 Contour Sport SE with 166K on the odometer. Bought the car new in October of '99. Other than being on its fourth fuel pump, the cars has been great. Obviously it's my daily driver, still looks pretty good too. Ford told me my motor mounts are shot. I'm thinking it must be the lower ones because the ones on top look fine to me. If there is a post anywhere on how to replace the lower motor mounts, the link would be much appreciated.

Still enjoying the 'Tour!

Later.

4 fuel pumps?? Wow. Do you run it down to Empty often? Has the fuel filter been changed at least a few times?

Back