• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

duratec wiring harness.......??

Deanna

New CEG'er
SCROLL DOWN TO THE LAST POST FOR THE PART NEEDED. TY

Contour

2 weeks ago I called a shop and asked about a particular problem. a week later I came out to the car not wanting to idle at all. So I towed it to the shop.

He is telling me its the wiring harness. That he is looking for one at a junk yard. But the cost is $$$ if I buy a new one from Ford itself. That I need a 1995 duratec wiring harness.

But heres the question.. I took it in because when I would start it. It will go to 3k rpm. And start to fall. Hit 2k and fall on its face. ( it was 2 degrees outside) But it would not stay idle. But hes telling me that the wiring harness will fix all the problems below. However hes not sure if it will fix why its not staying on. Hmm is he trying to get me for money?? I have a feeling he will fix the problem with the car getting wet and not changing gears.. .... Then charge me to fix why it wont stay idle.

What was going on before this...

When the car was idle. rpm would be 500 start to fall. And the car would jump itself.. if that makes sense back up to 1k. go back to 500. Sometimes it was fine if I was able to go.
Right before i took it to the shop. At a red light it would continuiosly jump up and down from -500 to 1k. I would like to think it was not getting enough air. But I dont know..

(this is the particular problem I originally called about.) when the underbody would get wet. It would not change gears correctly. Then when the car would dry. It was fine.

My cel light would come on for a few min. And go off for a few min. When going speeds of 50 or more.

My interior light would sometimes work and sometimes not.

the door locks didnt work when i got the car last Feb. 2006
But when I had a friend do something and he connected it right to the battery. They worked.

Ok most of that makes me think its electrical

The wiring harness is known to go bad in these. There even was a recall for it. But im not the original owner. Plus she's 12 years old.

I seen the wiring harness today.. brittle, and all the wires are exposed and together. The plastic has been melted off.

Like I said before. He says that he knows this will fix the problems. But hes not for sure if will fix why the car is not staying on. But he thinks it might. Is he taking advantage of me?

What do u think?

Last edited:
Based on your description of the wiring harness, it appears to be a problem. You are looking at about $3000 to fix the wiring harness issue. If you are not willing to do that, you will have to splice and "Liquid Tape" (Liquid Rubber, sold at Home Depot or Lowes) the wires.

The low and high idle issue could be a massive vacuum loss (broken vacuum hose) or bad Idle Air Control valve.

Based on your description of the wiring harness, it appears to be a problem. You are looking at about $3000 to fix the wiring harness issue. If you are not willing to do that, you will have to splice and "Liquid Tape" (Liquid Rubber, sold at Home Depot or Lowes) the wires.

The low and high idle issue could be a massive vacuum loss (broken vacuum hose) or bad Idle Air Control valve.

Tony is mostly right about this. Sounds like whoever had the car when the TSB came out about the wiring issue didn't have it fixed. Now the problem is yours.

October, 1999
To:
All Ford and Lincoln-Mercury Dealers
Subject:
Owner Notification Program 99M03 - Certain 1995-1997 Contour and Mystique vehicles - Under Hood Wire Harness - Additional Coverage.

Please check this for what is required for your car/engine/options.
Description
Labor Allowances Labor Operation
Replace 4 harnesses - 2.5L Auto Trans., with ABS 7.7 Hours 99M03B Replace 4 harnesses - 2.5L Man. Trans., with ABS 6.9 Hours 99M03C Replace 3 harnesses and overlay harness - 2.5L Auto. Trans., no ABS 4.1 Hours 99M03D
Replace 3 harnesses and overlay harness - 2.5L Man. Trans., no ABS 3.5 Hours 99M03F
Replace 3 harnesses - 2.0L, with ABS 5.7 Hours 99M03G
Replace 2 harnesses and overlay harness - 2.0L, no ABS 1.9 Hours 99M03H

Part Number (Kit)
Description
F5RZ-14K289-S4TB 95 2.0L Manual or Auto With ABS
F5RZ-14K289-S4TA 95 2.0L Manual or Auto no ABS
F5RZ-14K289-S6MB 95 2.5L Manual Trans With ABS
F5RZ-14K289-S6MA 95 2.5L Manual Trans no ABS
F5RZ-14K289-S6AB 95 2.5L Auto Trans With ABS
F5RZ-14K289-S6AA 95 2.5L Auto Trans no ABS
F6RZ-14K289-S4TC 96-97 2.0L Manual or Auto With MECA II with ABS
F6RZ-14K289-S4TD 96-97 2.0L Manual or Auto With MECA III with ABS
F6RZ-14K289-S4TA 96-97 2.0L Manual or Auto no ABS
F6RZ-14K289-S6MC 96-97 2.5L Manual Trans With MECA II with ABS
F6RZ-14K289-S6MD 96-97 2.5L Manual Trans With MECA III with ABS
F6RZ-14K289-S6MA 96-97 2.5L Manual Trans no ABS
F6RZ-14K289-S6AC 96-97 2.5L Auto Trans With MECA II with ABS
F6RZ-14K289-S6AD 96-97 2.5L Auto Trans With MECA III with ABS
F6RZ-14K289-S6AA 96-97 2.5L Auto Trans no ABS

Reading the TSB will provide all the information you need to know even how long it takes to install.

I was fortunate in that I have the 2.0L no ABS, that is the cheap fix @ $136.00 and I can do it myself.

You can not rely on one from a junk yard as it may not be a replaced harness. The only way to tell is to open it up and inspect the whole thing since sometimes they look perfectly fine on the outside.

I REALLY HATE to say it, but this is an item that is only safe to get from a dealer. In that respect get it on line from Team Ford, Bill Jenkins. For the least cost if you don't do it your self that should also be done by a dealer. If your car has ABS and a V6 it's gonna cost more than getting another Tour to fix.

Sorry, but knowing the truth is the best thing.

Regards,

Tony is mostly right about this. Sounds like whoever had the car when the TSB came out about the wiring issue didn't have it fixed. Now the problem is yours.

October, 1999
To:
All Ford and Lincoln-Mercury Dealers
Subject:
Owner Notification Program 99M03 - Certain 1995-1997 Contour and Mystique vehicles - Under Hood Wire Harness - Additional Coverage.

Please check this for what is required for your car/engine/options.
Description
Labor Allowances Labor Operation
Replace 4 harnesses - 2.5L Auto Trans., with ABS 7.7 Hours 99M03B Replace 4 harnesses - 2.5L Man. Trans., with ABS 6.9 Hours 99M03C Replace 3 harnesses and overlay harness - 2.5L Auto. Trans., no ABS 4.1 Hours 99M03D
Replace 3 harnesses and overlay harness - 2.5L Man. Trans., no ABS 3.5 Hours 99M03F
Replace 3 harnesses - 2.0L, with ABS 5.7 Hours 99M03G
Replace 2 harnesses and overlay harness - 2.0L, no ABS 1.9 Hours 99M03H

Part Number (Kit)
Description
F5RZ-14K289-S4TB 95 2.0L Manual or Auto With ABS
F5RZ-14K289-S4TA 95 2.0L Manual or Auto no ABS
F5RZ-14K289-S6MB 95 2.5L Manual Trans With ABS
F5RZ-14K289-S6MA 95 2.5L Manual Trans no ABS
F5RZ-14K289-S6AB 95 2.5L Auto Trans With ABS
F5RZ-14K289-S6AA 95 2.5L Auto Trans no ABS
F6RZ-14K289-S4TC 96-97 2.0L Manual or Auto With MECA II with ABS
F6RZ-14K289-S4TD 96-97 2.0L Manual or Auto With MECA III with ABS
F6RZ-14K289-S4TA 96-97 2.0L Manual or Auto no ABS
F6RZ-14K289-S6MC 96-97 2.5L Manual Trans With MECA II with ABS
F6RZ-14K289-S6MD 96-97 2.5L Manual Trans With MECA III with ABS
F6RZ-14K289-S6MA 96-97 2.5L Manual Trans no ABS
F6RZ-14K289-S6AC 96-97 2.5L Auto Trans With MECA II with ABS

Reading the TSB will provide all the information you need to know even how long it takes to install.

I was fortunate in that I have the 2.0L no ABS, that is the cheap fix @ $136.00 and I can do it myself.

You can not rely on one from a junk yard as it may not be a replaced harness. The only way to tell is to open it up and inspect the whole thing since sometimes they look perfectly fine on the outside.

I REALLY HATE to say it, but this is an item that is only safe to get from a dealer. In that respect get it on line from Team Ford, Bill Jenkins. For the least cost if you don't do it your self that should also be done by a dealer. If your car has ABS and a V6 it's gonna cost more than getting another Tour to fix.

Sorry, but knowing the truth is the best thing.

Regards,

I have the part number of what I need. But I will have to wait till Monday to call, they are not open today. But I did try to get a quote via contact info from the team ford. And for some reason it would not go through.

He has mentioned the splicing and and liquid taping. That tony was talking about. But what he said is this.
He called a junk yard and they said they had the part. But he found out that it HAS to be a duratec wiring harness 1995. So he was thinking of going and doing the splicing thing with both of the parts. Mine and the one he got from the junk yard. Now, that I don't know what hes talking about. Surley hes not going to put the bad right back in my car.

How long does it take to do such a thing?

I am going to get a quote on the part I need. But I still want to know my options.

I don't want to run into this problem again because I decided to go with the cheaper deal and end up with a fire! lol

Oh ps. Is waht I am looking for called a body wiring harness?

Last edited:

NO, as I said read the TSB do a search and find it here on this site. You NEED ALL of them for your particular vehicle. It says if you find the symptom you MUST replace ALL the harnesses involved. In addition there is a proceedure that is outlined in the TSB for doing the work in the best manor and even the time allowed to do it. It is your car and you can choose not to follow the proceedures outlined but do that at the risk of having different electrical problems the next day, week, or month. Then by doing the replacements out of sequence you will have to pay for the labor to tear that part down again to do the step you should have done before.
READ THE TSB 99M03D

Just the work of replacing one harness can cause the insulation on other harnesses that have the problem to break, crack, or dissolve. I have opened several harnesses that have the problem in JY's just to see what it looks like. Sometimes there are big cracks, chunks of insulation are missing, and then sometimes it has just turned to powder. It is really amazing, and on the outside they look just fine. Well except for the little cracks at the connectors and other places AS OUTLINED IN THE TSB.

By the way does your car have manual or auto transmission? ABS brakes?

This guy is a CGer and gives us a discount on parts - Contact:
Bill Jenkins
Internet Dept.
Team Ford
5445 Drexel Rd.
Las Vegas, NV 89130
800-791-6436
www.TEAMFORDPARTS.com
bjenkins@teamfordlv.comThe part may not be listed as it is out of stock and usually needs to be ordered. That's why I say to contact Bill. He can get it and give you as a CGer the discount.

There are a total of four affected harnesses on the cars (except 95/2.0L/auto/no ABS). These are all in the engine compartment. The power distribution harness generally affect in some way most electrical systems in the car. This electrical issue doesn't just go away it just gets bigger, but it is your car, pay now or pay later. Just keep fixing it until you get it right and your mechanic has a new boat ;)

Last edited:
I have three of the four harnesses available - they were never installed - sold my Contour several years ago. I'd hate to throw them away ...

Discovered the wiring problem in my contour just now. What sucks is that I paid the Ford dealer to replace Fly wheel not too long back. And now I see all the brittle wires. Can anyone throw some more light on the liquid rubber deal? I can't aford $3000.00 to fix it - not by a loooong shot.

Car is 1996 with about 150,000 miles.

Nayan,
Sorry to hear about your newly discovered porblem. First question is do you have ABS? If not then in this case that is better. The rubber deal is you open up your harnesses and coat the individual wires. In escense reinsulating them.

This is MHO, but I would not do that to my car for two reasons. First it is way too much work and since you have to remove the harness and then reinstall it why not just do that with a new harness. Second is I think it would be unreliable (just me I'd miss someting and the removal and reinstallation would cause the insulation to crumble).

Please read the TSB and determine what is needed for your car. Then talk to someone like Bill Jenkins @ Team Ford to find out the true cost. I have nothing to do with Team Ford I have only bought parts from them and Bill (a CEG member) has been fair about the prices.

MY 2 cents

Ha... yeah they only gave me 500 for my contour. And I didn't tell them about the car. It was a given when they took it for a spin. lol But I did have my mechanic only fix the one wiring harness. It ended up costing me 400$ he told me to trade it in Asap. The other 2 wiring harnesses look just the same as the one he redid. And that is exactly what I did the next day. Drove it right down and traded that crap in.. ...

Now.. the Malibu. She has 27k miles. They wanted 19,000 for it. But we got it down to 13,000. And after adding a ( like) factory warranty on it for 6 years or 100,000 miles We paid 16,000 for it.

The car is still under factory warranty. 3 years or 36,000 miles. So I feel good about that.. and knowing I will still have bumper to bumper coverage till 100,000 miles.. Makes me feel good.

Insurance is 109 a month. And thats full coverage with 2 ppl on it.

Also I wanted to add... I called Ford here in town. The part that I needed was the 3 wiring harness deal. And that was a 1995 Ford Contour 2.5l No Abs... Over $1,700.

I asked if I could just get one wiring harness. That all I needed was the engine wiring harness. And they do not sell them separate. I assume because of the problems they have had with the old ones.

I talked to Bill. Not Bill Jinkins.. he was in a meeting... But I guess there is another Bill who works with him.. And he said he can get me the part for 1200. So thats a great discount. But for me it was more than what the car was worth. Yano...

I am soooo happy I got a new car. I am so done with the car problems. Welll umm this car is a 2006... and its only 2007. So I hope no one has recalls.. in the future. lol..

Whats great is that the DIC. Display Information Center. Tells me everything. How many miles I have left on my tank og gas.. And the oil change is not based on a certain amount of miles. Its bases on how hard you drive your car. That if you are driving alot.. then the oil will need to be changed before 3k miles.. But if you are a sunday old time driver. Then the oil change dont need to be changed as frequent. But it still says to change it so many times if you are lol the Sunday driver as I like to call them.

It tells me when I am leaking any fluid.. if i happen to be doing so.. And Like I was saying it tells me the percentage of oil I have left in my car. When there is possible ice on the road... And much more. From what I have researched it looks like a great car for value. No complaints..

Thank you to all that have replied. I appreciate it. Oh and for that one guy who's having troubles now. let me tell ya. Any wiring harness at the junk yard. Is going to be Junk. Unless you find one without cracks. Good luck.

Back