• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Svt #1256

Ahhh, I see. I thought $3100 is what the insurance co's pay off to you.
Well, on the other hand, it's the same insurance co that tell Trevor $260 for buy back. Guess yours would be close in that area.

Wow that really sucks espically since you tried to avoid it and couldn't. Glad to hear everyone its alright and that you're in the process of rebuilding gives you a reason to make it better than it was before. You car is the first one I've seen on here with less miles than mine but you'll have her back on the road before you know it.

So what's the deal with rebuilding/registering a totalled car? Like how does it work?? is there any extra inspection that needs to be done by the DMV before they allow it on the road?? what about insurance??

im gonna call the DMV and ask. Just by googling i found stuff for applying for a new salvage/rebuilt title...and there's a whole process including showing receipts for all work performed and getting an inspection at the DMV itself.

It doesn't say anything about buying a salvage/rebuild car from another state.

I found a low miles DSG cobra for like 19k that was a theft recovery. As long as it wouldn't affect insurance i guess i don't mind. But, absolutely no warranty...dunno how risky it is

lol i don't want to do anything illegal!

i mean, if the car was in an accident or stolen or whatever, i think i tshould be on record somewhere and should be made known to future owners.

lol i don't want to do anything illegal!

i mean, if the car was in an accident or stolen or whatever, i think i tshould be on record somewhere and should be made known to future owners.

that's the same way i feel. The company that does that does a majority of work for hot rod guys and people that have built their cars from scratch and need a legal title for them to register their cars with.

So what's the deal with rebuilding/registering a totalled car? Like how does it work?? is there any extra inspection that needs to be done by the DMV before they allow it on the road?? what about insurance??

My bros car (SVT_22) and my car, both have salvage titles.... We bought them wrecked from a salvage yard close to our home town.... They had been bought at auction from the insurance company. We then rebuilt the cars and them inspected. The guy who does our inspections is actually the local cop in town.... but he is certified to do the inspections. I don't know how he got certified to do it... It doesn't seem too hard at all... they give you like a 100 point inspection sheet... that you have to pass.... which is a matter of just going down the list and making sure they are all working... anyways though... Funny thing happened when I got my car inspected... Someone forgot to put the last bolt for the passenger seat belt, back on... so.. that would be the bolt that attaches to the body down by the bottom of the seat... so no one noticed until it was inspected.... I was up in mad town, and he was back home getting it inspected.... He was in the city next to us getting the car inspected... had to run back home.... put the bolt back on... and then haul ass to get back in time before they closed down to finish the inspection... bout the 1st time my car was up over 90 or so since we had it... :D

I received a call today from the Total Loss Rep regarding the car. They gave me $6900 for the car less the salvage/buyback of $168 and my deductible. That leaves me with $6582 of which $2911 is the payoff on the vehicle and a grand total of $3671 left to spend on the car.

As for the salvage title, if I keep the car registered in my homestate of SC the vehicle will receive a salvage title. But, if I register it in MD, where I am stationed, it will receive a clean title. The reason is that MD doesn't require the title on vehicles over 7 years old to registered on the road. The ins co suggested I go through MD to save on whatever. At this point I stopped listening to what they had to say and started thinking of my usually do it the right and honest way conscience. So it looks like getting in registered in SC again will be a huge PITA and fees.

Hopefully though they will pay it off within the next 10 days and in about 2 days after that I should have lots of fix-it money in my checking acct.

And for those interested, the adjuster figured that it would cost almost 9 grand to repair the damage to my car.

it'll be back a bit more than 100%. That, I can assure you. I've been dreaming up the movie and final outcome within 5 minutes of the wreck.

The buy back is $168??? It's great!
Man, I only wish I can have USAA insurance.
I think you are doing fine. Register it with MD it will be OK.
Congrats!

yup, only $168. Of course, I did ask her a few times to make sure I was getting the correct number. :laugh: Definately very nice but I think it has to do with more of what the damage is in regards to what they could get for it at a salvage auction.

Back