• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Help building a stereo

FFE

Veteran CEG'er
I'm currently looking for what parts to get for my finance's car. Since I know this community has a far amount of audiophiles I thought this would be a good place to ask

The goal stay as cheap as possible, however willing to spend extra change when I get what I pay for. Goals for a system is mostly SQ but would like to have some boom behind it.

What I have, Alpine head unit. So I have a way to go.

Thoughts

A set of decent speakers in front doors,
A set of par speakers in rear, since you don't listen to those speakers cheap will work (thought about 35 dollar kickers)
-- would prefer no components but will consider
1 - 10 or 12 in sub.
2 amps -
1 - 4 way ( around 50 watts per channel, depends on speakers)
1 - mono block for sub.

-- willing to look at 5 or 6 channel for the right price

-- box will be custom made by me
-- I own most of the wiring, but anything I need will be from Knu.

-- Products looked at
- Alpine 10in dvc type R
- Infinity kapa, reference, Polk audio (front speakers)
- kicker pioneer (rear speakers)
- 4X40 alpine amp
- 1 X 220 alpine amp (400 at 2ohm)

total for what we look at was around 800 but would like to pay less. maybe 600

Last edited:
I'm partial to Infinity. Just picked up some Kappas for the front doors. I have had Pioneers from WalMart in there and was VERY impressed with them for the price. I'd go with Kappas in the front and the Pioneers in the back. The Kappas should have adjustable tweeters in them that you can aim at your sweet spot. The Pioneers have impressive bass for their size. If you need a little more, an 8" or 10" sub mounted on the rear deck would probably be more than enough for what you say you want. If you already have the HU, I bet you could finish up for around $400 and have a solid system.

+1 for the infinity's, i ahve reference series in the front and rear doors. personally i would use the same speakers front and back to better match the sound (you really DO hear the back speakers too). check out my thread about huge "system" for sale, i have a amp/subs/box/cap for sale for 500 bones. then again, you said you only wanted a little boom

Little boom get a little 10. want some cone space for more bass when that 10 can't keep up anymore, go 12" but if your one of those "I only listen to jazz, and rock" type of people get a 10". But if you want to bang hard, go 12". Alpine amps are very decent, and put up some good numbers, always have. And some Alpine decks and amps have that Bass Engine deal goin' on when you match Alpine's together. Front speakers, go Coaxial, so you dont have to mess with mounting the tweet seperate, or bother with a crossover in your doors. It really depends on your deck for sound these days, cause Pioneer's have "super bass" and "powerful" eq, and quite a selectable range, whereas, Alpine has XM media xpander, and a tricky EQ setup. Type R's sound VERY good for door speaks. My friend has 2 front's and 2 rear's running off the deck, and it sounds great. The sub doesn't drown them out one bit. he's got one MTX 12". My 2 cents. If you wan't to keep it cheap, get the cheap kickers, and run em off the deck. Or whatnot. Good luck.

Infinity FTMFW!!!!!!!! If you're going the SQ route, skip the cheapie kickers and go with Infinitiy Kappa 682.7cf's. If you wanna cut a little bit, 6x9's can also fit in the doors. One quality sub should provide plenty of thump. The Infinity Kappa 10 or 12 inch DVC is a nice choice. After hearing Alpine, Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood and Infinity the choice is quite obvious. Plus the Kappa speakers come with a 2 year warranty. Another good them is the 270* rotating tweeter, so you somewhat aim the sound up to the passengers ears. Yes it does make quite a difference.

if you cant afford the kappas the infinity references sound almost as good and are alot cheaper. the four of em i have sound really nice even with no amp being used. (just some cheaper end kenwood head unit)

Yeah, +1 on the Infinity's. Infinity also has a 6 channel amp out that you can use to just get everything set w/ one amp. That sounds like the best idea to me and there is a good amount of power coming out of it too. Here's the link...

http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='REF5761A'&Ser=REF&Cat=AMP

Whats a good website

Whats a good website

Whats a good website to shop at??

Looked at Ikesound.com and Crutchfield.com(um way overpriced it seems)

ebay usually has some really good deals, especially if you dont mind getting used stuff. i dont mind picking up stuff from there as long as they have good feedback and are willing to accept returns.

i nabbed a audiobahn flipdown dvd player/lcd screen with 2 pairs of wireless headphones for like 100 bucks - keeps the kids quiet on long trips. i also picked up a kenwood "mask" cd player with a disc changer in perfect condition for about 100 bucks.

Here's what I got:
Kenwood 8452: $130 shipped from eBay new
Infinity Kappa 5x7s: $87 shipped from eBay new
Kenwood something or the other 5x7s: $31 used from a forum
Infinity Reference 10" 1050w: ~$90 from caraudioimage.net
Dual brand deck with motorized faceplate: $31 on clearance at Wal-Mart (originally $150)
4 ohm wiring kit: $25 from eBay

The sub and fronts are powered off of the amp, and the rears are powered by the deck.

So I spent about $400 altogether, and it's amazing in both sound quality and volume. I just did a TON of searching to find the best deals I possibly could.

LMFAO steeda....... its just a dvd player for my kids, pretty much any wally world brand would serve that purpose well (i wouldnt use their speakers or amps derrrrrrr)

259c_12.JPG

that with 2 pairs of headphones for 100 bucks was a good deal when i bought em.... they're even cheaper now.

Back