• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Interior work...gone to far.LOL

BADEVO

CEG'er
Well I was sittin in the car today looking at how many different damn shades of color Ford decided to put in the damn CON. So I just sai to hell with it, we are gonna fix that. So here is what I did....

I DYED THE DASH BLACK!!!!!!!!!!! Its still being worked, as soon as I get it complete I will post pics.

DSCF31201.jpg

DSCF31203.jpg

Nice. One of these days I'll get around to pulling the dash and doing it two-tone grey. One of these days.

I don't get why the dash is different than everything else. In my 96 (and in my 95 parts car) the dash is the same color. It looks SOOOOO much nicer.

you sprayed the dash INSIDE the car? how did you manage not to get it all over the place or not on the window glass?

How will that stuff hold up in the sun?

I believe that Speed demon did the same with his entire interior from his SE but he had some local Nebraska shop do it for him piece by piece - I heard it looked f'n sextastic after once everything was re-installed.

you sprayed the dash INSIDE the car? how did you manage not to get it all over the place or not on the window glass?

How will that stuff hold up in the sun?

I believe that Speed demon did the same with his entire interior from his SE but he had some local Nebraska shop do it for him piece by piece - I heard it looked f'n sextastic after once everything was re-installed.

Yeah the dash isnt removed. Thats a PITA. I've done several dashes before and even did a blue to white conversion once. Its a pita if you have never done it but once you get the hang of it , its easy. I masked off all the areas I didnt want sprayed and I used drop cloths on everything else.

The dye does really well in the elements. I had my talon for 3 years and never once had any issues with the panels.

so what is your plan with the door panels now? are you dying them to ALL black?

it would look hot if you dyed the parts that you just painted gunmetal...or grey or something :drool:

looks pretty cool!

so what is your plan with the door panels now? are you dying them to ALL black?

it would look hot if you dyed the parts that you just painted gunmetal...or grey or something :drool:

looks pretty cool!

Debating that now.....

Might go with the same grpahite color as on the center console I did in the other thread... tommorow we shall see... LOL

now i was thinking if you had a mnb interior dash black. inserts in the door black and the inserts in the seats black. i think it would sweeet. but only if the exterior is black. any other color the inside should be color matching

what products are you using? is the finish glossy? does it cause glare at all when driving?

Check out my other thread it has a detailed how to of what I am doing.

No no glare I used a flat black for the dash. It looked shiney in the pics because it hadnt dried yet.

Well I finally finished the dash today. Came out pretty good. I have a couple spots that I noticed but 99.9% of others wouldnt. I'll wait a couple days till its cured and hit it with some 600 grit and touch it up, no biggie.

Well here are the pics. Gonna keep the doors the same way they are now just gonna add some graphite accents to them so they all hatch the dash etc.

DSCF3121.jpg

DSCF3122.jpg

DSCF3123.jpg

DSCF3124.jpg

DSCF3125.jpg

DSCF3126.jpg

DSCF3127.jpg

Thanks alot, it's not perfect but it came out very very nice. Like I said up to, I have a couple quick spots, but those will come right out. I'm gonna let all the panels dry over night and put the whole car back together in the morning.

looks real good man, could you tell me how you took off the gearshift knob?

Um, honestly without breaking something no. LOL I broke the plactic piece that goes inside and had to get a new one at the salvage yard. My suggestion is to pry the over drive button out, cut the wires (which you can reattach later) and then it should come straight up after you remove the small allen head screw.

Back