• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Coolant Leak

murky024

New CEG'er
So I am at work and I just noticed it and I have yet to get it up on jack stands but I cant see where it is coming from the top or the bottom. I just figured I would hit you all up to see where I should look tonight. It is leaking from the middle-front of the car. I see it dripping off the front sub-frame but I cannot see where it is coming from with the hood popped.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Mark

Check the water pump.

Ewww, yeah I saw that thing sitting there on the right side of the engine... Are you telling me we have an electric water pump? Now that I am home and I am able to get a trouble lamp up there I think I see it coming from an aluminum housing on the right hand side of the car and it only seems to leak when the water pump is running...

Not an electric water pump. Water pump is on the drivers side of the engine(v6). It's got a small belt that runs it. You can see it easily if you remove the plastic shroud that covers the space between the radiator and the engine. You could also look at it from underneath. Just lay under the car and look up where the drip is. A flashlight will help.

Uggg I suck at life... So yeah I am pretty sure it was the water pump... I went to buy another one at Advance Auto and they have one in stock... GREAT. So I change the pump and the spark plugs while I am doing stuff...

Well I start the car and the new stupid pump is pissing coolant faster than my old one! There is this small bearing or check valve that is leaking coolant... So I take the new pump off and put the old one back on and now that one is leaking more than the couple drops it was...

Uggg 4 hours down the tube and the only thing I got done was changed plugs

First, I would buy a water pump w/ a metal impeller.

Second, did you clean the mating surfaces smooth, and replace the gasket as well? It doesn't hurt to use some gasket adhesive also. Then make sure everything is tighten to spec, and it should be good to go.

First, I would buy a water pump w/ a metal impeller.

Second, did you clean the mating surfaces smooth, and replace the gasket as well? It doesn't hurt to use some gasket adhesive also. Then make sure everything is tighten to spec, and it should be good to go.

Well I didnt have time to buy a metal impeller and the one I got has a limited lifetime warrenty... The first new waterpump I got was bad because coolant came out the wheep hole... So I got a second new one that is working great... And with all the putting pumps in and taking them out I have become all but a pro at it

Back