• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Effects of ATF on MTX Shift Forks

todras

Pretty fly for a white guy *cowbell*
From Terry...

upon stripping an MTX today we found it impossible to pull out the two shift fork rods that the forks slide on.They had to be removed 'en masse' with the gearsets...Once the fork and rod assy's were out of the trans the rods were KNOCKED OUT of the forks with a hammer and brass drift!...Think the forks wre a 'bit' stiff on the shafts???? ...So...why?...Well the residue in the trans was good 'ol ATF!!!...I'll say it one more time for the masses',ATF over a period of time,causes build up of black oxides within the trans and affects the soft metal bushes on 'stoc' shift forks and causes them to become very stiff on the shafts...DON'T USE THIS CRAP!...This is one of the several reasons Ford changed the spec from ATF to the'honey' type fluid.I don't care what Harry,Bill ,Fred,'my tech','my trans shop',The Senate,The Queen or the Pope says!!!! DON'T USE ATF IN AN MTX75....!!!!

This is a short vid of a fork rod and forks.The first fork I slide on is new with std bushes,the second is one from a trans that has spent its life in atf...I have a bit of a problem sliding it down the shaft!!!

Right click save as

....here is another redo of the test..This time I use a hammer on the same forks...The ATF fork is #1 in this.I can't labor the point enogh on this lube issue .The bunk that some owners and so called experts spout makes me sick.

Right click save as

From Terry...

upon stripping an MTX today we found it impossible to pull out the two shift fork rods that the forks slide on.They had to be removed 'en masse' with the gearsets...Once the fork and rod assy's were out of the trans the rods were KNOCKED OUT of the forks with a hammer and brass drift!...Think the forks wre a 'bit' stiff on the shafts???? ...So...why?...Well the residue in the trans was good 'ol ATF!!!...I'll say it one more time for the masses',ATF over a period of time,causes build up of black oxides within the trans and affects the soft metal bushes on 'stoc' shift forks and causes them to become very stiff on the shafts...DON'T USE THIS CRAP!...This is one of the several reasons Ford changed the spec from ATF to the'honey' type fluid.I don't care what Harry,Bill ,Fred,'my tech','my trans shop',The Senate,The Queen or the Pope says!!!! DON'T USE ATF IN AN MTX75....!!!!

This is a short vid of a fork rod and forks.The first fork I slide on is new with std bushes,the second is one from a trans that has spent its life in atf...I have a bit of a problem sliding it down the shaft!!!

Right click save as

....here is another redo of the test..This time I use a hammer on the same forks...The ATF fork is #1 in this.I can't labor the point enogh on this lube issue .The bunk that some owners and so called experts spout makes me sick.

Right click save as

Don't need a video, I remember my own forks were so stiff form the FACTORY fill ATF that I broke my shift cable on normal shifts. When I finally took them off I needed a hammer too.

My current car had Mobil 1 ATF. I'm hoping that since it's a synth that i will be fine. I know my black car's trans looked excellent when it was opened at 130k. While I was fixing a leak on the red car I had ATF temporarily. Glad I got that swapped out.

I can attest...

Having run the factory fill for entirely too long (up to about 75k), I can tell you my shifting was pretty stiff. Terry's theory then was exactly what he describes here.

I switched to RP Synchromax, and it has slowly improved, probably due to wearing off some of the ATF residue. Still a little notchy, but livable for now. On my second fill of RP, at this point.

My current car had Mobil 1 ATF. I'm hoping that since it's a synth that i will be fine. I know my black car's trans looked excellent when it was opened at 130k. While I was fixing a leak on the red car I had ATF temporarily. Glad I got that swapped out.

You may be right, my car never saw synthetic ATF, only the dyno ATF that Ford put in. I switched to Torco back right at the end of my warranty when I first did the 3L and that helped but it was always stiff. THe shift cable snapped when under warranty but they didn't fixe the issue, only the cable. lol
So when I took Terry's advice and changed out the shift forks it was like Butter no matter the fluid.

I still have to say after all experience that Torco synthetic has been great stuff.
We can have a long term update on the Torco RTF from Ray right about now as it has been in the transmission about a year now.
Just in case anyone wants to know.

Update:
Cold start shifting is smooth, even compared to warm shifting on any other CDW I've driven. It IS notchier than my car when its warmed up, but even at that, its still smoother than most any other car.

Warmed up, that's even better. Like butter, my friend. Looking to drain and fill coming up here (soon[ish]) and I will review the condition at that time.

Was there any mention as to how old the ATF was? Old fluid with depleted additives would be a lot like old engine oil that was overdue for a change.

When I was using Mercon in my trans, there was always an improvement when I changed fluid, although it wasn't much and it wasn't very long lasting.

With ATF+3 or Ford Honey it shifts like butter, and it still has all of the original parts in it.

The right lubricant makes a big difference.

I meant, cold shifting for me IS still notchier than warm shifting, however it feels (even cold) to be easier and smoother than other MTX CDW's I've driven.

I will admit that its more likely because of the upgrades to the tranny and not being stock, but still!!!

Back