my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» CEG Forums   » Branches   » N. California   » Service - Dealership

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Service - Dealership
flummox
CEG'er
Member # 6713

posted July 30, 2002 12:51 PM      Profile for flummox     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well.. it was bound to happen. Must bring the SVT into the shop.

Have a clunking noise from the left rear of the car. I think I snapped a sway bar mount. Can hear the clunk around corners and when I pull into the driveway here at work. Sometimes as well over small bumps.

Anyways.. on to my question. Who has delt with service places here in Sacramento? I am up the street from Harrold Ford when I am working. Other option is Folsom Lake Ford. Has anyone delt with either of these two? Is there a better place to take it? Any info is appreciated.

Thanks NorCal.

--------------------
1999 Silver Ford SVT Contour
1994 Black Chevy Caprice 9C1

Posts: 234 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Toadster
Mod Squad
Member # 227

Member Rated:
posted July 30, 2002 01:15 PM      Profile for Toadster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
hmm - you may just want to take it to Pep Boys or a smaller shop, they can do a quick "visual" inspection on the car for ~$30 - then you can start spending "real" money...

Folsom Lake Ford charged me $63 to clear the airbag codes on my ECU, the didn't even fix the damn thing!

--------------------
Todd Christ SVT Contour Registry
MODS: KKM Intake, SHO Shop Y-Pipe, Bullit Fuel Door, Edelbrock RPM Resonator
'98 E0 SVT Contour #1037 of 6535

Posts: 4476 | From: Folsom, CA | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Fmr12B
Mod Squad
Member # 421

posted July 30, 2002 02:18 PM      Profile for Fmr12B     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Flummox,

You have an aftermarket bar on your car. Chris put on the SCA 21mm bar, not sure if he swapped it out for the stocker, but easy to tell.

Stocker is black, SCA is raw aluminum color.

Dealership should refuse your warranty claim, provided it is still under warranty.

I would order a set of 21mm Type A brakcet/bushings from ProThane and drop use the factory bolt to hold it up and then use a 1/4 thick 1" long bolt with plenty of large washers up top and on bottom and drop that down the stock hole that the brakcet lip fits in.

You can buy another factory bracket but it will only last a few weeks/months before the clunk is back!!! Factory brakcet is about $8 and takes about 5 minutes to install once you have rear end off the ground.

Posts: 1831 | From: Santa Clara, CA | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
flummox
CEG'er
Member # 6713

posted July 30, 2002 03:26 PM      Profile for flummox     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Figures. [Frown]

Forget the ESP now (warranty up in October) since it seems I am going to pay for any problem I will have with the car in the future.

Does ProThane have a website?

Anyone have pictures of the sway bar area that I can take a look at? Basically so I can see what I am getting myself into.

Any other tips are greatly appreciated!

--------------------

Fmr12B
Mod Squad
Member # 421

posted July 30, 2002 04:43 PM      Profile for Fmr12B     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I would buy a extended warranty!

Much cheaper than if your trans/engine goes. Its a must have if you plan on keeping car after Oct. I am in the same boat and need to buy by Dec.

I have pics of my old stocker brackets/bushings on the car. I will attempt to shoot a few of the new setup as well and post them for you.

Yes Prothane has a website, you can also search the web for a store that stocks there parts. Prothane is $9.95 for the set of two brackets/bushings + $10 to ship. Find a store and they will be closer to $15.

Easy easy job. Josh and I uninstalled his Aussie bar and reinstalled the stocker in under an hr, changing brackets to prothane will take about an hr including jacking up the car and removing the tires.

No sense in paying someone to do it!

Look for the pics late tonight. I had to work 15hrs yesterday, so I hope to call it an early day.

flummox
CEG'er
Member # 6713

posted July 30, 2002 08:06 PM      Profile for flummox     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Good point about the ESP!

No rush on the pictures and if it is a pain to get a snapshot of the new setup dont even bother. I do appreciate the offer!

Just a good description and maybe someone who has done it before that is willing to let me call them if I get stuck on what to do would be a great help!

My computer is down at home so I wont be able to check this until tomorrow here at work. XP is the best thing yet from Microsoft my butt! Ok while I am ranting about this I know some of you know computers. The install goes ok through the preparation stage, but when it reboots to actually install I get an error. The error happens after it boots to the setup screen, when it gets there the error pops up. It states something along the lines of Manifest error in top level of document. Windows XP cannot install a needed file. I have tried the full install as well (vs the upgrade option) and still get the same error. Any ideas on this? Yes.. I kicked the computer.. didnt do anything. [Roll Eyes]

Thanks!

--------------------

nyceboi
CEG'er
Member # 3218

posted July 30, 2002 11:38 PM      Profile for nyceboi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Harrold Ford is great, they pamper my SVT. See ART (serivce manager)

--------------------
SVT EMBLEM MOD HERE

:::96:C:LX:::
Black 2.5L ATX "my beater" - Shaved • badgeless • SE rocker panels
:::99:SVT:C::: #2566 of 2760
T-RED/TAN "the bitçh" Brullen Cat-back w/ 3.5" angle-cut tips • BAT European Suspension • AFE Filter • CnL 73mm MAF • Diablosport Chip :MNQ3: • Mirko front spilter • Apexi SAFC (i'm scared to install! anyone in Norcal wanna help me?)

..::nyceboicreations.com::..
email:junkmail@nyceboicreations.com

Posts: 620 | From: The StaTes | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
flummox
CEG'er
Member # 6713

posted July 31, 2002 10:34 AM      Profile for flummox     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
But would Art fix my car under warranty with a different sway bar? I think not.

However I will keep him in mind for any other warranty work that may arise.

--------------------

flummox
CEG'er
Member # 6713

posted July 31, 2002 03:22 PM      Profile for flummox     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hey Fmr do you have the part number? I looked on the web and no Contour was listed.

--------------------

Fmr12B
Mod Squad
Member # 421

posted July 31, 2002 05:05 PM      Profile for Fmr12B     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by flummox:
Hey Fmr do you have the part number? I looked on the web and no Contour was listed.

You want a stock bracket or aftermarket ny prothane?

Stock, any dealer can order for you. Look at www.fordpartsonline.com for number.

For the SCA 21mm bar, it is a universal application. Looking for 21mm Type A bracket w/ polyUrethane bushing

flummox
CEG'er
Member # 6713

posted July 31, 2002 07:23 PM      Profile for flummox     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Thanks for your help!

I hope to have the part by this weekend. Going to try local parts stores and see what I can come up with. 99% sure that it is the SCA bar on there as I remember seeing a black sway bar in the stuff Chris gave me for the car.

I am glad we still have this site! [Big Grin]

--------------------

flummox
CEG'er
Member # 6713

posted August 01, 2002 07:53 PM      Profile for flummox     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Struck out looking for the part in town. [Frown]

I tried the big parts stores, including Tognotti's and no luck finding the part.

If anyone may know of another place around Sacramento where I may try, PLEASE let me know.

Thank you.

--------------------

Fmr12B
Mod Squad
Member # 421

posted August 01, 2002 08:15 PM      Profile for Fmr12B     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Phlemox,

Call PROTHANE!!!!

They will give you a distributor within your area, provided there is one. Nearest to me was Watsonville, about 45 miles away.

Jason (stinger) ordered ours, he had em within a week.

If your adventurous you can climb underneath, remove the stock bracket and try and bend it back into shape.

Stinger00
CEG'er
Member # 485

posted August 02, 2002 03:27 AM      Profile for Stinger00   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
you wanna see what broken brackets look like?

there are some in this folder:

http://icpsvt.dyndns.org/pics/g-ride/swaybar

good luck

-jason

--------------------
my svt
the story of my life ...

Posts: 1038 | From: Danville, CA (East Bay) | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
flummox
CEG'er
Member # 6713

posted August 02, 2002 10:29 AM      Profile for flummox     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yeah.. calling today.

If nothing close, Harrold Ford here I come. I need to get something done soon. Then when I finally get the ProThane ones I can swap out.

Hey Fmr12B.. what ESP are you thinking of going with?

--------------------

Fmr12B
Mod Squad
Member # 421

posted August 02, 2002 12:42 PM      Profile for Fmr12B     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Stay away from the dealer, don't let em do your sway bar. It is Soooooooooooooooo simple.

Worst case just order a bracket, will be there on Monday and cost you $8 and you can hold off until you get your ProThanes installed.

Well I checked out www.fordesp.com and there prices are about $100 lower than a dealer, but I think a dealer may be able to haggle lower.

I think I am going to go with www.warrantygold.com and use my other state address as they will not sell to a CA resident.

Much cheaper and a longer warranty. I plan on going with 5/100K for around $1100 (0 deductible and $30/day car rental)

flummox
CEG'er
Member # 6713

posted August 02, 2002 01:04 PM      Profile for flummox     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well I should of said Harrold Fords Parts Department here I come.

Victory Auto (916 481-9300) off Auburn Blve in Sacramento between Watt and Fulton can order the part (19-1120). They said that ProThane holds shipping until they get enough to cover the shipping costs. So if I ordered today (with half down) it would not be here until the week of the 11th as that is the next schedule week for a delivery.

No out of state address for me so I will look more into the Ford ESP. I need to make a decision soon!

Good Pics Stinger00. Wonder what mine are going to look like.

--------------------

All times are ET (US)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CEG Website

Copyright 1999-2002 Lance Kinley