my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» CEG Forums   » Branches   » New Jersey   » Attention Jim

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Attention Jim
Daveandrews
CEG'er
Member # 3255

posted March 30, 2002 07:09 PM      Profile for Daveandrews   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Let me know how everything turns out with your Tranny. And I hope it doesn't take too long.

--------------------
Dave Andrews
Black&Tan 2000 SVT 225 of 2150
Bassani.. UNCORKED
davelandrews@comcast.net
"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know." -Montaigne

Posts: 2061 | From: Kearny, NJ, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yankees25
CEG'er
Member # 931

posted April 01, 2002 03:04 PM      Profile for Yankees25     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hi Dave,

Made the trip back to Crazy Horse this AM. Turns out Chris couldn't work on Contours. Too focused on Mustangs and has a backlog of work that will keep him busy for 6 weeks. However, he did refer me over to IMP in Clifton (Joe Cassella).

While I was figuring out what to do, I decided to check around at Fullerton Ford and Oasis Ford to see what it would cost to get the tranny replaced. Oasis wanted $1600 plus labor, and Fullerton wanted $2700 installed (*gulp*). No thank you.

Made arrangements with IMP, had AAA haul the Tour to Clifton, and there she sits. IMP is going to pull out the tranny and ship it to Terry Haines in MI. Terry will rebuild it, and I'm going to figure out what else I want to do while the car in on the operating table. Funds are tight, but it makes sense to do the clutch now. Not sure I can swing the Quaife as much as I want to. Too many expenses to deal with right now (it is tax season after all).

Will keep you posted on how things work out. Thanks again for the help on Saturday.

Jim

Posts: 123 | From: Basking Ridge, NJ | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Slim Shady
CEG'er
Member # 373

posted April 01, 2002 05:04 PM      Profile for Slim Shady   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Get a new SVT flywheel and have it cut, If by any chance you can swing the quaife DO IT while you have her open.

Good luck

--------------------
99 SVT Tropic Green
#151 of 503/ 2760 total
Born on 10/07/98
Adopted 7/15/00
LETS GO RANGERS (looking good this year)

Posts: 1375 | From: queens,NY .. | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Daveandrews
CEG'er
Member # 3255

posted April 01, 2002 06:14 PM      Profile for Daveandrews   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I had a feeling Crazy Horse might be too busy. He was commenting about the work load last time I talked to him. He's said he's willing to do the work, but I guess he's just got more than he can deal with now.

IMP..Clifton? That's just around the corner from me.

Definitely do the clutch. A lighter flywheel, the dual-mode damper.

And honestly.. I'd do whatever it takes to get the quaife in there. (Much much cheaper to do it now than doing this again later) I'd also throw in the Motor Mount reinforcements from BAT Inc. Those are cheap and I can't think of a better time to do it.

--------------------
Dave Andrews
Bassani.. UNCORKED
davelandrews@comcast.net

Daveandrews
CEG'er
Member # 3255

posted April 02, 2002 09:31 PM      Profile for Daveandrews   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
BTW I have an SVT clutch and flywheel with less than 5K on them.

--------------------
Dave Andrews
Bassani.. UNCORKED
davelandrews@comcast.net

Yankees25
CEG'er
Member # 931

posted April 02, 2002 10:00 PM      Profile for Yankees25     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hmmm. Might well be interested. At this point, not sure quite what the deal is. IMP was actually able to drive my car around. Doesn't seem right if the tranny had truly grenaded - car should have been/become immobilized fairly quickly. IMP thinks maybe the clutch might have been fried, but Terry Haines thinks otherwise. Will find out tomorrow when the tranny comes out for a closer look-see. Wish I'd taken that Auto class in High School.
Daveandrews
CEG'er
Member # 3255

posted April 02, 2002 11:34 PM      Profile for Daveandrews   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
You lost at least a tooth from a gear.. you blew a hole in your tranny..

I'd go with Terry on this one. Still let's see what shows up.

--------------------
Dave Andrews
Bassani.. UNCORKED
davelandrews@comcast.net

Yankees25
CEG'er
Member # 931

posted April 16, 2002 03:09 PM      Profile for Yankees25     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
So the SVT is still sans tranny. Been driving around in a Taurus that I rent Monday thru Friday.

Now's where this gets to be like a Country Western song gone bad. The gf had an interview this AM at a school in Chatham for a teaching position. She's on Main Avenue in Chatham, waiting to turn left into the CVS. Along comes a Suburban driven by old fart who plows into the back of her Jetta.

Don't know right now, but it very well may be totaled. The entire trunk is smashed in, and the gas tank was leaking. Neither rear door will open. Couldn't tell what damage was done to the frame. The airbags didn't go off.

So now not only am I in my third week of rental car hell, but now my girlfriend is looking at a month of the same possibly. At least I got a Taurus whereas she's stuck with a Focus [Wink] [Frown] .

Contour Racer
Mod Squad
Member # 892

Member Rated:
posted April 21, 2002 04:52 AM      Profile for Contour Racer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Jim, be careful with IMP...I live right there, and they did my ex's clutch....$600 later, and he had to take it somewhere else cause the car still didnt run [Frown] Just watch out and be careful....they are hit or miss...people either love them or hate them...Just letting ya know so cause I don;t want to see ya get screwed. Let me know how it goes though, cause I know they couldn't do a clutch on a ford probe gt turbo to save their lives!!!

--------------------
Lisa
1996 GL 17.5@79mph
1996 Integra LS 16.5@83mph
2001 Integra GS

Posts: 162 | From: Fair Lawn, NJ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Daveandrews
CEG'er
Member # 3255

posted April 21, 2002 06:24 PM      Profile for Daveandrews   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
If IMP is like any other shop, it depends more on the mechanic than anything else. I know Jim isn't happy about the time they are taking. We'll have to wait and see how the work turns out. The tranny shouldn't be that difficult a job, just time consuming.

--------------------
Dave Andrews
Bassani.. UNCORKED
davelandrews@comcast.net

All times are ET (US)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CEG Website

Copyright 1999-2002 Lance Kinley