• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

blower motor fuse

elraido

I kant speel
the other day, the fan adjusting knob stopped turning except for two settings and then it stopped. So, I went out last night and changed out the HVAC and still nothing. Checked the fuse and sure enough it was popped. So I changed it out, started up like a charm. On the way home it popped again when I turned it up. Is there anything out there that could be cause this to pop?

Check the wiring to the blower motor resistor. If it's melted you probably have exposed wires touching each other.

Passenger side floor. Follow the carpet to the end, and it's on the left near the center of the car. The carpet thingy hanging down from the bottom of the glove box needs to be unclipped to expose it.

It's hard to explain. :crazy:

4 wire plug. The resistor is a white rectangular piece of plastic.

This is what Autozone has listed on their web site:

0900823d801bcf45.jpg

Fig. 1: Remove the resistor assembly by gently popping it out of the evaporator housing using a screwdriver

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the push pins and remove the upper footwell panel from under the passenger side of the instrument panel.
  3. Unplug the connector from the blower motor resistor assembly.
  4. Insert a screwdriver approximately 0.2 inch (5mm) under the edge of the resistor assembly to disengage it from the evaporator housing.
  5. Remove the resistor assembly.
Install is reverse if removal. Hope this helps, it's quite easy.

Yes and No.

There was a safety recall on the blower motor resistor. Problem that usually happened was the blower would only work on high. High is the only setting that the resistor is not used. All settings below that used the resistor to cut the power down.

The plug would melt and damage the resistor and wires. The recall was a new wiring harness and resistor.

Your problem may or may not be related, but it's the first thing I would check since you keep blowing fuses.

Back