• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How to: Cowl Screen Area (To include...)

69Boss302

Has mile high skills
Wiper Arm removal, Cowl Screen removal and Fresh Air (Cabin) filter replacement.

This is valid for all year Contour and Mystiques.

The hood has previously been removed from the vehicle used for this write-up. It is not neccessary to do so to your vehicle.

To remove the Entire Cowl Screen (approx 10 minutes)

Tools needed:
Wiper Arm removal tool
15mm socket and ratchet
Phillips Head screwdriver
T-30 Torx bit
Small pick or very small flathead screwdriver

The air filter I use is Purolator C14860. It is widely available and can be had for under $20.

Begin by removing the long weather stripping piece along the lower edge of the cowl screens

P1000278.jpg

Under the end of the wiper arm is a 15mm nut. To access this, flip up the cover. Now remove the 15mm nut and washer. Set aside.

P1000279.jpg

Attach the wiper arm removal tool underneath the arm and on top of the stud. When in the correct position, turn the handle of the tool and the wiper arm will come loose. Repeat for the Passenger side.

P1000284.jpg

For replacing the Cabin Air Filter, begin here. (Approx 15 minutes total)
The filter is located on the passenger side.

In the indicated areas, remove the Torx bits and phillips head screws. The screws have a beauty cover over them and are best removed using a small pick or small, thin bladed flat head screwdriver.
Set all screws, covers and Torx bolts aside.

P1000293.jpg

P1000289.jpg

Beauty covers
P1000296.jpg

The same process may now be used on the drivers side if you are replacing the entire thing. It is not neccessary for replacing the Cabin Filter.

P1000298.jpg

Next is to release the clamps that are holding down the plastic strap the retains the filter.

Shown is the passenger side. There is another clamp on the other side. Once loosened, the filter and plastic strap can now be removed.
P1000302.jpg

To install, reverse the above directions.

Last edited:
If you need to replace the entire assembly, then continue. Otherwise, you're doing too much.

2 13mm nuts hold down the rest of the housing.

Outer nut
P1000299.jpg

Inner nut
P1000300.jpg

Now everything will lift out being careful not to tear the weather stripping around the base.

The yellow represents the weatherstrip location.
P1000303.jpg

Fully removed. Now you can really clean everything out.

P1000304.jpg

Reverse all the steps to put it back together.

ROTFL. Can you make it a little easier. Thanks, Boss. This will certainly help most CEGers. :cool:

Added to the Duratec maintenance faq, and the M&M how to thread.

Thanks!

The next thing I'll add, maybe tonight, is how to replace the wiper motor as well. I have some pics from when about a month ago but they aren't the clearest and need to be redone.

Nice write-up.

When I removed my cowl a couple time to run wires, I didn't use the wiper arm removal tool. And believe me, it would have been a lot easier taking them off with that for the first time ever. They were a pain just trying to slide off. I wound up giving each of the studs a couple whacks with a hammer and they came loose. Everytime I've removed them since, they come off pretty easily.

Once you take them off the first time, you can use anti-seize compound (like you use on spark plugs). Subsequent removals are a non-event.

CA SVT Driver
2000 CSVT T.Red

After doing this previous to seeing this post I have developed a leak into my passenger floor board. Any suggestions on what to use for weather stripping around the cabin air filter box? Thanks. I tryed kitchen and bath caulk lol all I had at the time. FAIL.

Rubber foam weatherseal should work fine. Make sure it covers the whole area without gaps.

Back