• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT on Steroids MM&FF May 2001

TourEnvy

Hard-core CEG'er
SVT on Steroids MM&FF May 2001

2637767380100506754S600x600Q85.jpg

There are 3 ways to improve airflow through, and therefore the power output of a motor. One way is to increase the engine speed to allow better breathing. As the engine spins faster, it draws more air and in turn, makes more power. Of course this takes the proper components designed to operate at the elevated engine speeds. The second way to improve the power output is force air into the motor by turbocharging or supercharging. This increases the power output by force feeding air into the motor than it can normally draw. The third way to increase airflow and power is to increase the size of the motor. Bigger pistons (bore) and longer crank throws (stroke) produce a greater draw for each revolution. More air in results in more power out. The SHO Shop has applied not one but two of these methods to produce a Contour SVT on steroids.

2192693880100506754S600x600Q85.jpg

The standard SVT Contour is pretty impressive right out of the box. With a Roush modified motor, the 2.5 has been enhanced to produce an additional 25-30 hp over the standard 170hp Duratec. The mods included use of Extrude Hone porting on both the intake manifold and on the secondary runners of the cylinder heads. For those unfamiliar, the Extrude Hone process relies on a silly-putty like media impregnated with abrasive silicone carbide crystals. The abrasive media is forced through intake and cylinder head passages. The abrasive media removes material as it flows, porting the runners. The nice thing about the process is that the removal will take place where the resistance is greatest (where it is most needed). Both Roush and Ford Motor Co. obviously recognized the effectiveness of the process, as they chose it for their SVT program. The Extrude Hone porting process was applied to both the intake manifold and the secondary runners on the cylinder heads. Being a long-runner design, the intake manifold presented a real challenge to port conventially. The design prohibited the use of standard rotary abrasive cutters, as access to all of the runners was limited. The Extrude Hone process had no such limitations, allowing full porting of every runner and entry. The cylinder heads were also given the treatment, but the porting was only applied to the secondary ports as cast. The porting was combined with different cam profiles, a light-weight fly wheels and programming modifications to achieve the rather impressive output of 195hp(later upped to 200hp).

2590735590100506754S600x600Q85.jpg

2080608020100506754S600x600Q85.jpg

Though the SVT Contours stormed pretty hard if the revs were kept up in the useful part of the powerband, the one complaint logged about the performance was the lack of low speed power. This is where the SHO Shop 3.0 SVT comes in. As the emblem suggests, the SHO Shop 3.0 SVT Contour is sporting a bigger hammer. After a little research, the gang at the SHO Shop discovered that the cylinder heads (actually the whole top end) from the SVT Contour could be made to fit the 3.0 shortblock from the Taurus. The combination resulted in one impressive performer. While the additional cubic inches offered by the 3.0 were certainly welcome, SHO Shop figured why go with stock if it can be improved? Before installing the SVT cylinder heads on the awaiting block, the heads were sent to Extrude Hone for full porting of the primary and secondary runners. Ditto for the intake manifold, as the 3.0 would require a great deal more airflow from an intake that was designed for a much smaller motor. One of the benefits to installing SVT heads on the 3.0 liter short block was that the combination was blessed with a hike in compression. More displacement, more breathing potential and more squish-what could be better?

2964730060100506754S600x600Q85.jpg

2386486470100506754S600x600Q85.jpg

The finishing touches on the 3.0 included opening up the secondary butterflies from 33 to 37mm. What good would a ported head and manifold be if they were choked off by a restricted intermediate butterfly system? The 3.0 utilized the factory SVT cams.

2501980220100506754S600x600Q85.jpg

2884885060100506754S600x600Q85.jpg

With the long-block finished, a few finishing touches were in order to further enhance the power potential. The SHO Shop installed a 63mm throttle body, a custom cold air intake and a set of under drive pulleys. The exhaust system was also given a great deal of attention, as air that goes in must be allowed to escape. The stock SVT exhaust flow rate was greatly improved with the use of long-tube headers from Sean Hyland. The headers merge into a custom 2.5-inch exhaust system built by the SHO Shop. In addition to the added power, the exhaust provided a throaty sound that let everyone know that this 4-door was sporting something more than stock. The exhaust note really came alive when you put your foot in it, which I did at every opportunity during the test drive. With all this hardware, we expected big things from the 3.0 on the chassis dyno. It did not disappoint us one bit, as the motor posted peak power readings of 229 hp and 208ft-lbs. of torque. These numbers represented gains of 65 hp and 63ft. lbs of torque. The curve was better everywhere, right from the point the startere disengaged all the way to redline. The power is impressive and made a dramatic difference when driving. This thing feels like a new 4.6 Mustang GT.

2482869220100506754S600x600Q85.jpg

Though the focus was on the big motor, this 3.0 Contour also sported an impressive array of other performance components. The SHO Shop outfitted the 3.0 Contour with a Quaife differential, a light weight, billet steel flywheel and a HiRevs Competition clutch and pressure plate. In anticipation of the additional torque production, reinforced engine mounts were used to secure the 3-liter beast firmly in place. A B&M short throw shifter greatly improved shifter feel, though the stock shifter wasn’t all that bad.

Other mods on the Contour included 13 inch Baer brakes, cryogenically treated rear rotors clamped by Performance Friction Z pads. The suspension upgrades consisted of a Koni/Intrax shock and spring combination along with front and rear strut tower braces. Further suspension goodies included subframe connectors, front and rear control arm reinforcements and a 17-inch TSW/BFG wheel and tire package.
The SHO Shop 3.0 SVT was one impressive package, but we can’t help but wonder if a Vortech or Paxton might fit in on this combination and (more importantly) how soon they might let us behind the wheel again.

Thanks for hosting the pics and doing the write up. We needed these pics to be up again since all the links were dead from the previous forum.

Been posted a bunch. I have the scans in my fototime.

But all the links to the pics are dead. I searched for a good hour probably trying to find them. I found your original write up back on the old forums. If i would have known you had them in my fototime, I could have saved theSHCAFF some time in his thread.

But all the links to the pics are dead. I searched for a good hour probably trying to find them. I found your original write up back on the old forums. If i would have known you had them in my fototime, I could have saved theSHCAFF some time in his thread.

Did ya ask? LOL! I moved them.

http://www.fototime.com/703CA1E95A89EF8/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/278D90EC2A0CE74/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/8BAB8B9DE21ECF6/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/32F9944333C9B93/orig.jpg

Last 3 pages condensed.
http://www.fototime.com/50F3053801464FF/orig.jpg

Back