• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Throttle Hang

sweetsvt

CEG'er
A couple of weeks ago I replaced air hoses, one of which was the bypass air valve hose. Since then, every once in a while my idle gets stuck at 1,500 rpm. Sometimes it drops back to 750, sometimes it doesn't until I come to another stop. After looking around I found this post:
http://www.contour.org/mods/mods.php?s=howto&displayid=34

I realize that I was stupid because I didn't check to see if there was any kind of plug in the hose. Now that I see this, I plan on fixing it; however, I have a some questions. Will the driving I've done so far with the new hoses cause any permanent damage? Where can I find a plug for this hose? If anyone has any suggestions, I'll be glad to listen.

If your wondering where you can find the 1/2 copper pipe cap, then go to your local hardware or home improvment store. It will be in the plumbing section. It will cost you less than a buck. But make sure you drill the hole in the copper cap! :) It sounded like you wanted to "plug" it up. Just read that how to over once more! :)

Good luck.

Jeff

Good point Jeff. I looked over my post and I did sound like I was going to plug up the hose, which isn't my intention. I do plan on drilling a hole in the cap. I'll just take the hose to "The Home Despot" tomorrow and get a copper cap for it. One more question, what is the optimal diameter of the hole on the csvt?

........... I didn't check to see if there was any kind of plug in the hose. Now that I see this, I plan on fixing it; however, I have a some questions. Will the driving I've done so far with the new hoses cause any permanent damage? ..
Not any damage at all.

my TH would make my car rev slowly up to sometimes 4K when in N coasting. it was crazy, and i replaced my IAC 3 times then did the TH fix and it never did it again.

do you know if this will fix uneven idling? What I mean by that is, sometimes it'll go back and fourth between 750 and approx 900 rpm.

I did the fix by installing the plug and drilling a 3/16" hole. Seems to have worked. I'll drive around for a bit and if it's not better, I'll try drilling a 7/32" hole.

The optimum hole size seems to vary from engine to engine. Buy two or three caps and experiment with different sizes. Some use a winter cap and and summer cap, as the one for summer sometimes allows the eingine to stall during warm up in the winter.

my TH would make my car rev slowly up to sometimes 4K when in N coasting. it was crazy, and i replaced my IAC 3 times then did the TH fix and it never did it again.

What was the diameter of the hole you drilled? I drilled a 3/16" hole and every once in a while the throttle still hangs. Should I go to 7/32" or should I try to go smaller?

For what it's worth, from time-to-time (say, every 20,000 kilometres/12,000 miles) my 99 SVT develops something other than what we all probably understand as the classic Contour "throttle hang." The behaviour I'm talking about was mentioned earlier in this thread, and is marked by high idle (around 1300 RPM) and a tendency for RPMs to actually increase - not just 'hang' - when engaging the clutch to shift.

This problem comes on gradually, i.e., it does it once in awhile, and then more-and-more frequently, until it's doing it almost all the time.

The classic TH fix won't help with this but, after much trial-and-error, I've discovered that a throttle body cleaning fixes the problem every time...well, at least for another 20K kilometres.

For what it's worth, from time-to-time (say, every 20,000 kilometres/12,000 miles) my 99 SVT develops something other than what we all probably understand as the classic Contour "throttle hang." The behaviour I'm talking about was mentioned earlier in this thread, and is marked by high idle (around 1300 RPM) and a tendency for RPMs to actually increase - not just 'hang' - when engaging the clutch to shift.

This problem comes on gradually, i.e., it does it once in awhile, and then more-and-more frequently, until it's doing it almost all the time.

The classic TH fix won't help with this but, after much trial-and-error, I've discovered that a throttle body cleaning fixes the problem every time...well, at least for another 20K kilometres.
As you mentioned throttle body cleaning,

TBcleaning throttlebody passages
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=trouble&Number=920243&Foru m=trouble&Words=p0401&Match=Entire%20Phrase&Search page=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=919728&Search=tr ue#Post920243

and from Big Jim
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=8475

I have a modified air breather hose from my intake into the UIM, and it cured a throttle hang problem I had a while back.

It returned! However, I tried the classic throttle hang fix (small diaphram plate in rubber tube), and its cured now.

No harm in trying it as a last resort and seeing if it works.

Back