• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Power window problem

jimmyz49866

Be Gentle I'm New Here
My 95 developed a power window problem a few days ago. As it went down, it started to grind almost like broken glass. It went up and down a few times over the course of a day, then started moving slower.

Yesterday, I lowered it enough to vent for smoking a few times and it ran okay, but then I tried to drop it all the way for a drive-thru stop and it ground like broken glass again and wouldn't go all the way down or all the way up. I could get it to almost closed, maybe an inch left, and just less than halfway down.

The crunching sound doesn't start until it's halfway down, but it doesn't go that far anymore.

I pulled the panel off today and lubed the tracks with white grease. That seemed to help once, but now it's only moving about two inches without force, and then it's only moving about six inches. Still only closing to about one inch.

I inspected what I could see inside the door and there doesn't appear to be debris or ground glass. The tracks appear free and clear.

Is this a bad regulator or is there another problem that I'm not seeing and/or looking for? Any ideas appreciated.

By the way, I'm way up north and it was about 3 degrees when the problem went from minor grinding to crunching to not closing. I garaged the car overnight and it should have warmed up enough to melt any ice, but there might still be some in there, if that's a potential cause to the problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jim
Negaunee, MI

That grinding noise

That grinding noise

Thanks for the leads, but I'm not sure if I need a new motor or regulator, or if this is something else.

I've got the window going up and down on an occasional basis - sometimes it sticks and sometimes it doesn't. But as the window travels from the halfway down position to all the way down, then back up again, there is a nasty crunching sound.

The sound comes from the area of the window motor, which is right next to the track in the middle of the door, so it could be coming from the track.

My question is, has anyone had a motor die that involved a crunching sound? I'd hate to replace the motor and find out it was the track or some other problem that involves a cheap fix.

Any ideas appreciated.

Jim
Negaunee, MI
---------
1995 2.5 MTX 195k

Back