• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Moosing Help.

SnafuFlux

CEG'er
I've gone through the throttle hang fix, and I'm still trying different size holes on the copper end. But I'm now down to 9/64 size hole, and its still moosing as bad as always. Only difference is, that its not as of a loud sound.

what would you guys suggest: keep going down in size? or try a larger hole?

TIA

I'd go with the smallest sized hole that will allow my car to idle in cold weather. If the moose is still present, try changing the location of the diaphram from one end of the tube to the other. The problem is resonance, so changing the location might to the trick.

so what you're saying is: the hole can be as small as possible, as long as the car idles, you're ok? I was worried about having some adverse affects due to the hole being so small. But if the only thing that could possibly happen, is the car stall, then I'll keep going smaller.

The location of the copper top is exactly where the instructions say it to be. and when I place it in the middle of the tube, it just ends up at the same location due to the vaccum.

A dirty IAC will also contribut to the moose noise, so try cleaning it. Sometimes all you can do is reduce the noise, not eliminate it.
Very correct. I have tried the 97 fix and I have the the 96 bagpipe fix now. In the cold winter mornings when I have the defrost on, I get the moose until the A/C cycles off. But for 30 seconds or so, I can live with it. I will change out the IAC valve when the weather gets warmer.

I wish mine lasted for 30seconds. Its really weird, because last year I didn't have trouble at all! now this year it doesn't go away! What do I use to clean the IAC valve? in the mean time, I'll keep trying the copper tops.

what is this bagpipe fix you talk of?

EDIT: Is the bagpipe the juice can like thing that I have as well?

Last edited:
Use carb cleaner to clean the IAC valve.

Moose info here.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...er=1148660&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=all&vc=1

If you have an ATX, using the 1996 bagpipe fix requries that you move the tubing around or the plastic tubing will make it impossible to check the ATFluid level. Later this evening, I will post a picture of the "mod" I made. It has the long end pointing towards the direction of the driver wheel.

Back