• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tranny Problems

mzracer360

Veteran CEG'er
My car just began having the same issue that Nesaukee had back on the old forums:

I have an issue with a 98' Contour SE Sport with automatic tranmission that began acting strangly over last weekend.

It revs high in 1st gear up to about 4500rpm then shifts to 3rd. 4th still appears to function, but it also revs higher than normal in freeway driving.
Mine is a 95 Contour Gl with a V6 and ATX, I took it to Certified Transmission and they told me that I have no second gear and that Id have to replace my tranny with a remanufactured one. They gave me an estimate of $2400.

To me, this sounds too expensive, so my question is what prices have been paid for trannys on other 'tours. I have a second appointment set for next Tuesday through Cottman Transmission for a second opinion.

I have been researching and found out about the MLPS and TSS sensors, what are the chances of one of those being the issue?

...I have been researching and found out about the MLPS and TSS sensors, what are the chances of one of those being the issue?
Probably not TSS, maybe MLPS. Did they scan and give you the tranny codes? Post them.

If you don't want to to spend $2,400. Change the tranny fluid, then treat it like a Manual transmission. Start on 1, then shift to 2, then shift to D and let it shift between 3 and 4 by itself.

They checked but said they didnt find any codes. If its not raining tomarrow I will be taking it up to Advanced Auto and have them check for codes.
Right now I am starting out in 2nd gear and then shifting to drive, which seems to help it a little. I've also setup an appoinment with the Ford Quality Care center on Tuesday.

IF you can manually shift the car... you have an electrical problem, ie; one possible MLPS.

IF you cannot shift it manually, then the 1-2 shift valve has become stuck in the valvebody bore. Will have to replace the valve body or just do a rebuild.

Welcome back unisys12 :) . Your assessment and/or confirmation is always welcome and appreciated (by everyone). :cool:

I just got my car back from the shop today, after 2 weeks of it being there. :mad: I ended up having to replace the transmission. It overheated which caused internal damage along with melting the TSS sensor onto the trans case. I had to pay $2649 :cry:, but that includes a 5 year warranty.

I just got my car back from the shop today, after 2 weeks of it being there. :mad: I ended up having to replace the transmission. It overheated which caused internal damage along with melting the TSS sensor onto the trans case. I had to pay $2649 ....
Ouch! But I presume the car is paid for. And still in good driving condition and will give you at least another 5 years of trouble-free ownership (at least in the tranny front anyway). ;)

I spent about $2,200 in maintenance and repairs in 2006 (and expect maybe $2,500 to $3,000 in 2007). But my car is paid for and still in good driving condition. A new car will cost me $6,500 to $7,000 for the next 5 years.

it should be the range sensor on the top of the transmission. i have a blinking overdirve light and my car running on 1st and 3rd. i was told my atx needs to be rebuild but i really think its the range sensor. if it was my atx goin out it would gone out along time ago.

Yea my car is paid for, and in perfect condition with very low mileage. I was hoping it was just a sensor, but when I picked my car up I asked to see the old tranny. It didn't look too good, you could tell it had overheated.

Back