• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Upgrade front rotors?

mksjmksj

New CEG'er
I have a 98 Contour GL and I don't like the smallish looking rotors that came stock with the car. I also wouldn't mind having better stopping power. I'm sure there must be a way to upgrade my front rotors from the stock size to the same size as the SVT rotors. Can anybody let me know if this is possible, and if so, what I will need and how can I do it? Thanks, MIKE.

yes get the caliper brackets from a late model SVT or cougar and swap, this will allow you to use the 278mm rotor with you stock caliper ... other thing that you can do is get the caliper and bracket from a E0, early SVT as the bracket and caliper are specific, but you have less pad choices ...

yeah you might try pming reebs, he is parting out a SVT you could get the front and rear brakes from him ...

Good looking out guys! That's why I love CEG so much. Yeah rkneeshaw, I started out backwards and got the wheels first. I threw 17" chrome rims on.

Over here in the uk we can go further and upgrade to 300mm Discs from the St170 Focus and use Mk3 mondeo (2001-present) or even St170 calipers which are bigger than the 278mm (St24 and St200)

Do you guys have those brake setups on other fords in the U.S??

jcth1

Several here have installed Focus SVT front calipers and rotors. The Focus SVT rotors are 300 mm. It is a bolt on modification with only a slight accomodation needed to center the caliper (adding washers for spacers with the mounting bolts).

More recently, one of our members developed a kit that permits using original calipers with the Focus SVT 300 mm front rotors and the Contour SVT front 280 mm rotors moved to the back. The kit uses adapter brackets.

If you didn't catch that, the final result using both the front and rear kits is 300 mm front and 280 mm rears.

Over here in the uk we can go further and upgrade to 300mm Discs from the St170 Focus and use Mk3 mondeo (2001-present) Do you guys have those brake setups on other fords in the U.S??
I can one better that. 300mm fronts & 280mm rears

Front-Brakes-1-t.jpg
~
Rear-Brakes-1-t.jpg

You wanted Pictures?

Rear:

Front:

Front when installed:

100_0970.jpg

Old wimpy rear:

100_0983.jpg

I can't make the photobucket links to work for today's pictures. I'll try again another time.

Last edited:
ContourSVT what car did you get your rear calipers from. I assume they're OEM/Ford so if i can track down the car i hope i can confirm that out ST170 Focus or our mk3 mondeo will fit my mondeo.

jcth1

Back