• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How-To A/C Install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before undergoing recyclation and recharging of CFC/HCFC refrigerants in your vehicle it would behoove you to look at the EPA code of federal regulations (40 CFR Part 82 Vol. 57 no. 135) dealing with the certifications required in order to perform these tasks and also the equipment by law required. If you perform any of these tasks without automotive, class 1,2,3 or universal which covers all 3 classes you could be reported to the EPA and find buku bucks and possible jail time. always best to let a certified tech perform this one.

Before undergoing recyclation and recharging of CFC/HCFC refrigerants in your vehicle it would behoove you to look at the EPA code of federal regulations (40 CFR Part 82 Vol. 57 no. 135) dealing with the certifications required in order to perform these tasks and also the equipment by law required. If you perform any of these tasks without automotive, class 1,2,3 or universal which covers all 3 classes you could be reported to the EPA and find buku bucks and possible jail time. always best to let a certified tech perform this one.
Excellent advice. In previous threads, IIRC BrApple did suggest to CEGers that the A/c system be evacuated in a shop before removing the compressor or evaporator being removed and reinstalled. :cool:

Excellent advice. In previous threads, IIRC BrApple did suggest to CEGers that the A/c system be evacuated in a shop before removing the compressor or evaporator being removed and reinstalled. :cool:

My system was discharged over time because of a bad compressor.... not the conventional way of doing it, but my system discharged it's self basically.... which I did mention in the how-to that you should take it to a dealership or place that deals with those systems to have it discharged. I'm pretty sure I wrote that, if not, let me know, and i'll revise my document...

I couldn't open the link to get to it, but I said that because my neighbor got hit with a $2,000 fine for just discharging his with out cert or equipment and my other neighbor new better and has his cert and ratted him out to the EPA. just giving reference to keep people from having to deal with stuff like that. with your case though there was nothing you could do to forsee that happening and the EPA wouldn't even mess with you. I just got my universal and automotive cert through a military program and it's a good one to have if you can afford it. They really like to charge a lot to reclaim, recycle and recharge.

Last edited:

yes I have said it before that it is not legal to vent R-12 or R-134a at all ... now finding a shop that would just evacuate the system with out doing other work ... good luck ...

I couldn't open the link to get to it, but I said that because my neighbor got hit with a $2,000 fine for just discharging his with out cert or equipment and my other neighbor new better and has his cert and ratted him out to the EPA. just giving reference to keep people from having to deal with stuff like that. with your case though there was nothing you could do to forsee that happening and the EPA wouldn't even mess with you. I just got my universal and automotive cert through a military program and it's a good one to have if you can afford it. They really like to charge a lot to reclaim, recycle and recharge.

its a good point but I would believe most people here are already dealing with systems that have leaked down because of a leak or some other reason .... and all I can say is the neighbor might have been right to report the incident but what an ass for doing it ...

How the heck does the EPA PROVE that the "bad" neighbor did, in fact, discharge it? PROVE it to me that I did that, when a few minutes (or DAYS) have passed.

BS.. He didn't pay money for something that was heresay from someone else with no supporting evidence and no possible way to PROVE the manner in which the charge was released.

My neighbor had been talking about doing his A/C for a little while with me and my other neighbor. about a week after the conversation they got into it about their pets running loose. the guy that inevitably ratted the other guy out had to pay to get his dog out of the pound and pay a fine for the dog because the "ratted on" neighbor called animal control on him. It's amazing the clarity that a JVC with VHS/C has from only across a small street. Moral of the story, don't come at people unless you can come correct, unless you expect to get a big deuce dropped on you like that.

if you get caught dumping refrigerant you can get fined $27,500 if proven guilty and 10k to whoever turns you in. but cameras cant see whats going on in your garage with the doors shut.:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back