• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Starting and idleing

dansou5

New CEG'er
ok when i start the car it turns over but takes forever to actually start. not the battery, or the fuel pump because i just replaced it. then when the car finally turns over it wont idle normal. it bumbs up and down at 1500-2000rpm, then it will idle at 600-500 rpm, and will get close to stalling. except for starting and idleing the car runs fine. could a dirty IAC? it just through a cel but i havent hap any time to check what it is. thx for your help

ALRIGHT I FOUND THAT IT IS A FUEL PUMP PROBLEM!!! anybody have a problem priming the FSVT pump. i did a test in after the car sat for awhile. i prime the pump a couple of times, then i actualy start it, and it starts like a champ. is there something i had to do more to the pump when i replaced it? like change the hoses? all i did was take the FSVT pump out of the original housing and put it in the mystique one, and shaved the connectors to fit the new one. Has anyone else had this problem after doing this???

99 mystique
auto with 100k miles
new battery
new water pump
new fsvt pump
new radiator
new ATX servo seal
maybe more :nonono:

Last edited:
..could a dirty IAC? it just through a cel but i havent hap any time to check what it is. thx for your help

99 mystique
auto with 100k miles
new battery
new water pump
new fsvt pump
new radiator
new ATX servo seal
maybe more :nonono:
Get the codes read at Autozone or Advance and post the codes.

Back