• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

(lots of) oil in my spark plug wells...

djBACh

New CEG'er
...hope im using the correct terminology here.

'95 contour GL - 2.0 4cyl - automatic

bought this car 6 years ago and it has always had this issue...

when i go to change the sparg plugs (which i do several times a year) the plug wire shafts and boots are covered in oil at the bottom. not just rubbed on, but dripping with oil. have always just changed everything and got it back on the road thinking 'oh well - ill get it looked at and fixed at some point'. but ya know - a busy guys tends to forget about things when they arent broke, and they think about thinks like the transmission that had to be replaced, or the timing and water pump that had to be replaced, or the struts that have to be replaced, or the numerous other little issues...

...anyone else have this problem or know what it may be? is it an extensive and expensive repair?

thanks!

b

is the oil only on the top of the plugs? ie is isn't down on the threads in the cylinder?

if its only on top of the plug you need to change your valve cover gasket. its like $10 and shouldn't take more then 30 minutes to change out.

yes sir, valve cover gasket. make sure you clean everything up really nice while you are down there replacing it.

Remember, follow the torque specs on the valve cover! I was forced to replace the brand new gasket on my brother's Zetec because it was overtightened and crushed the gasket. He was getting oil leaking fairly quickly on one side of the gasket. Replaced a few months ago, and it's been perfect since.

Back