• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Starting in 5th gear, how bad is that?

mixtape

CEG's Most Wanted
So the 98 CSVT is officially stuck in 5th gear :shrug:. I was able to drive it maybe a quarter mile home from the restaurant it broke down in. However I would imagine it's pretty bad for the clutch/trans/engine to be starting out in fifth gear.

My mechanic is about 7 miles from my house. I would have to start from a stop maybe 4 times to drive there. Would it be damaging to do so?

A tow truck is an option but I rather save the $50 fee if I can drive the car there myself.

Well, if it is stuck in 5th because of a shift tower bolt than you should have it towed. If it is stuck in 5th because the cable bushing is just shot then limp it there..... I would

Well, if it is stuck in 5th because of a shift tower bolt than you should have it towed. If it is stuck in 5th because the cable bushing is just shot then limp it there..... I would

I'm not exactly sure the details of the problem. All I know is that when I move the shifter, there is too much play as if the cable is not attached, or the shifter is not attached to the cable. :shrug:

I'm not the most mechanically inclined :nonono::rolleyes:.

I'd pop the boot off the shifter and try to see whats going on. Just give it a wiggle at the plastic base and it should pop up.

I'd pop the boot off the shifter and try to see whats going on. Just give it a wiggle at the plastic base and it should pop up.

Agreed pop off the boot take a few pictures of the linkage and post them..maybe we can see something to help you :shrug:

when in doubt tow it safer and cheaper if it is the bolt... trust me experience has taught me this. $50 is cheaper than a trans or many other bad things.

Agreed pop off the boot take a few pictures of the linkage and post them..maybe we can see something to help you :shrug:

I hope to get some pics by tomorrow morning. Thank you guys, as always. :)

I'd try getting under the hood and throwing the black counter weight back and forth. If you are able to shift it there, try getting it in 3rd. I've drove home with bad shift cables in 3rd gear a few times. Taking off is kinda ugly, but once you get it up to speed you can just push the clutch in and coast :)

Hey guys. Instead of taking some pics, I decided to make a video!
Check it out and let me know what you think

Any input on whether driving this 7 miles in only 5th gear will damage the clutch or trans? I know the car has enough power to eventually get going, but I can't afford to damage the clutch/trans. I've heard of people starting in 5th to "test the torque" of their cars, but I'm not sure if it's more of a test or death wish to the clutch. :shrug:

get in the car, cut the wheel to the right, get out, look thru the space that having the wheel turned provided, then look for a semi large white plastic piece with an orange button looking thing.

Now see if anything is broke. the orange piece is either out, the 2 black bushings on the white piece are gone/broke, or ur cable end is not in the white piece all the way..

Either way i was in the same boat and I was stuck like 30min from home but I limped it in 4th.. Just get ur revs up as high as u can so u try not to bog down as much. Its not good for the car but its not the end all either..

just try and find a way to the mechanic that has the least amount of lights lolll..

Looks like what happened to me a couple of weeks ago, cable came off the end where it connects to the transmission. I was stuck in 2nd so I was able to limp it.

Thank you guys. I took a look but it was pouring. I decided to just drive it over as is. I had a friend speed ahead of me in their car and trip all the lights green for me :laugh:.

Horrible news guys...

The shift cable was intact and fine. Problem is the shift lever on the trans is no longer connected to anything. This is internal the shop said, relating to shift rod/fork :shrug:. Guy says I'm looking at at least $500 for labor alone :blackeye::nonono:.

oHHHH - yah, your shift tower bolt broke and the head of the bolt is now in the trans. Since they have to pull the transmission plan for putting in a new clutch right away......

its the bolt in the shift tower then is the cable ends are in tact and the shifter moves the shift tower arms. pull the shift tower and check. you also will need to find teh bolt head in the transmission. your really lucky that it didn't get jammed in anything and blow out he side of the case.

Is there anyway to fix the car without removing the trans?
Or am I doomed for a pricey repair? :nonono:

Is there anyway to fix the car without removing the trans?
Or am I doomed for a pricey repair? :nonono:
i have heard of people fishing out the broken bolt head with a magnet but its kinda one fo those if you get lucky deals.

you might get lucky and be able to fish the bolt out. but to make sure you really should pull the trans and make sure you have all of the bolt out so that it doesn't ruin the transmission.

Back