• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Csvt Woes Maybe Over Read And Post Opinions

Ok so after doing my own research on these forums and alldatapro.com I think my dilema is over.

It started off with a 98.5 svt contour I purchased in February. It had 5 codes 1131 1152 0171 0174 etc. It was also not inspected. Being a Ford Mechanic I got the car for a good price with meticulous maintanence history. Car had 102xxx miles and trans was rebuilt with a new clutch and flywheel at 79k. The Rack & Pinion was also replaced.

So my story...

Seeing how most people had maf issues I noticed in the history paperwork it was replaced 7 months ago with an advance auto maf so I figured maybe it was a bad sensor being that it was from adv. auto. So I got it warranted and swapped them out. At the same time I found that the pcv was shot and did the bypass as well as ran an oil seperator open atmospehere.

Car ran better. It was erratic at idle and sometimes stalling but.... the codes came back. This time it was the 1131 and 1151. So after a bit more checking I sprayed carb cleaner but with no idle changes. I removed the UIM and LIM and replaced the gaskets, cleaned the imrcs and reassembled.

It ran great and then the cel came back on. So I said ok maybe it was both o2 sensors even though I just couldnt see them going bad at the same time, perhaps one was bad for a while and without getting serviced and creating a rich condition the other one went bad.

So I replaced the 19 lb inj with 24 and the correct calibr. Ford maf was used. Ran better. Only did that because I am planning on doing the 5 psi turbo kit till the motor pops and swapping to a 3l and bumping the boost wit 42s. Ok so I am getting past myself. I then being in denial of the oxygen sensors out a bbk fuel pressure gauge on it and kept an eye on pressure.........stayed at 45 - 47 psi. Right in range....damn it ! !

So tonight I replaced the bank 2 upper sensor and wow. The car runs better, no cel yet.

Here is the kicker..... I have an a/f gauge ( waste of time I know. Just wanted to watch the o2s switch and used it as a tool of monitoring ) and before it would stick on the lean side and stay meaning it wasnt switching. So replacing the sensor from which I had spliced into its signal and monitoring the gauge it switches...

I am sure tomorrow the 1131 or 1151 cel code will come back on for bank one and then I will replace that sensor because now the o2 in the front is switching properly and it was definitly not before.

I know I did alot before it got fixed but in my experiene people always jump right into replacing o2 sensors and I was always a fan of doing the other things. I know the car runs stronger now since tuning it up and will be doing new plugs and wires within the week.

Next msds headers and by fall turbo.......

the bank where i replaced the sensor the code stayed away where as it came on for the opposing bank, so 1 more o2 and its done, thank god.

Back