• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

How to change MT Fluid

CSVT985

CEG'er
Howdy guys

Well I am wanting to change the Fluid in the SVT's tranny. But I have not the slightest clue to where the fluid is stored. On top of that, how many ounces of ATF + friction modifier do I put in (I want this car to shift butter smooth for the future new owner)

Thanks

An use Ford "Honey" or Royal Purple Synchromax. No one uses ATF any longer since the spec was changed per Ford.

need to look on the main site ....

I dont go to the main site anymore since I have a link directly to the forums

And is it ever recommended to replace MTF? I know ATF should be done as regular maintenance but I have never heard of anyone doing MTF regularly

Also, do I use 100% straight Royal Purple Synchromax or do I mix it with something else? Thanks

Last edited:
ATF was the old spec for the MANUAL TRANSMISSION. Do not mix Syncromax or Honey with anything.

There appears to be some confusion. Yes, for an automatic transaxle, you should change the ATFluid often. Maybe once every 2 years or 24K miles.

As for a manual transaxle, in the past, most people do not change the MTFluid. However, this site recommends changing the MTFluid on a regular basis.

When the acronym ATF was used in this thread, they meant do not use Mercon/Dextron III ATFluid (previous Ford Specification for ATFluid).

The specs for Manual transaxle call for Ford "Honey" (Motorcraft Full Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid # XT-M5-QS) now. Some on this site have good reviews for the Royal Purple and Torco too. In addition to not using Mercon/Dextron III, most suggest not using Redline MTL too.

Last edited:
i put royal purple synchromax in my car. no problems here. now ford honey i have heard bad things about so i just stay away from it.

I use ATF+3 b/c when i got the car that was the thing to use but since i have put royal purple in a buddies and royal purple is the way to go. If you are having a problem with 2nd gear grinding the ATF+3 works a little better but w/ the royal purple u won't have any problems. I think he paid like $28 from Napa for 3 qt.s

I put Synchromax in my car recently too. I can't tell any difference in the way it shifts. I never had any grinding with the original factory lube, just some difficulty getting into first when cold. I still have that problem with Synchromax.

...now ford honey i have heard bad things about so i just stay away from it.
WTF!?!?! Yeah ford spec fluid is bad for their trans, mmhmm ok.

I read somewhere in the maintenance section that MTX fluid should be changed something like every 60,000. DO NOT USE REDLINE or ATF fluid. Redline aided in the breaking of my first differential in my 98. Royal Purple Syncromax works good for the price that you pay and Ford XTM5QS works the best but at discount it costs $11 per quart.

Back