• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

ahh hooting (moosing)

SVT

CEG'er
I have the hooting problem, it is so annoying, I can't drive with the a/c on... There is s TSB for this and its as follws:

ISSUE:

Some SVT Contours may exhibit a "hooting" or "moaning" noise when the A/C is on and the engine is operating between 2200-3200 rpms. This may be due to resonance in the air by-pass valve and Idle Air Control (IAC) tube assembly.
ACTION:

Replace the air by-pass valve, hose assembly and gasket. The new valve and hose should reduce the possibility of a resonance noise in the air by-pass system. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

The only problem is that I do not want to spend over $100 to do as ford says and replace air by-pass valve and IAC tube assembly.. I haven't been around contour SVT long enough to know if there are any shortcuts to this fix.. Let me know what you brilliant individuals have for me:laugh:.

Thanks!

Try the cap, though it is actually for the throttle hang fix not the moose fix. If it does nothing for you try changing the IAC located on the back of the intake manifold by the wiper cowl. I have the moose, copper cap, moose fix piping, and I still have it. Next will be the IAC for me. Mine hoots so much I tell people that my car has 190 moose power not horses :D.

I just pulled my brass cap the other day after the car started having problems idling with the AC on now that its getting hot down here.

the IACV pipework on UK cars have an extra piece of tubing that is blocked off. Why not try adding a 't' piece and a length of pipe blocked off at the end. Cheap, ghetto and probably effective.... G. NB. i just measured it.... it's 13" long.

My car had the "fix" from Ford when I bought it and it howled like crazy even with it. I was "that car" driving down the road that everyone looked at because it was making SO much noise (and not good noise - it would be ok if that were the case!). One copper pipe cap later.... it hasn't made the noise since. Even if it hadn't worked - it cost less than $1.

I have owned my car since new. Early 98 E0. Built 4/67.

When new I installed the TSB cure while chasing a noise that ended up being the power steering pump.

I have still occasionally experienced the moose. It is less prevalent with the throttle hang piece in place. What has made the biggest difference for me was to clean the IAC.

I havn't heard the noise for several years. Still have the IAC that was installed as part of the TSB cure. I also no longer have the throttle hang cure plug in place.

I have kept the throttle hang at bay by cleaning the IAC combined with resetting the adaptive strategy of the PCM.

Always clean the throttle body at the same time as cleaning the IAC.

I will try to take a vid of the moose I have tonight, should be easy to do :rolleyes:.... :D

I have owned my car since new. Early 98 E0. Built 4/97.

What's the build # and date of your car? Ours are pretty close.

If I ever have a reason to take apart my fix I'll take a video. Of the two SVTs I've had this one is far worse. The silver car had something different when it came to the engine though... I've often wondered if it was a hybrid 3L and my stupidness didn't realize it because I was such a noob when I owned it.

What's the build # and date of your car? Ours are pretty close.

If I ever have a reason to take apart my fix I'll take a video. Of the two SVTs I've had this one is far worse. The silver car had something different when it came to the engine though... I've often wondered if it was a hybrid 3L and my stupidness didn't realize it because I was such a noob when I owned it.

SVT build number is 240. I think the build date is 4/9/97 or something close to that. I have it in my files somewhere if it really matters. It is also listed in Hetfields SVT register.

My silver SVT only moosed when it was damp outside. The red one, before I fixed it, would do it every time I started it, and wouldn't go away without tapping the throttle. If I left it, the engine would die.

I am going to replace the IAC finally. The '95 IAC is discontinued so I had to get it from vintage parts:blackeye:..... :crazy:

I will post here if it fixes anything.

the iac has ben revised a number of times. ultimately the best solution is to replace the iac. but the copper cap tn fix does work.

Back