• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Starting problem-arrgh!!

moneypitsvt

New CEG'er
Got a fairly common issue that is a real bugger to diagnose. I have a 98 csvt with about 64000 miles and she
has developed a rough starting condition(like fouled plug syndrome). The car can sit for hours(enough to get the engine to cool down/like overnight) and when I start it it misses and stalls. After I get it to run(cranking and pressing gas pedal) it will start and then completely clear up after about 8-10 seconds. Then it runs great and as long as I do not let it cool doen completely starts fine all day. I have been reading and I came across a post about raw gas being deposited on the plugs after a spell of cooling causing a rough start condition. I have replaced almost every part on this car(fuel filter-twice/fuel pump/plugs and wires/coil/tps/IAB/cam sensor)all in hopes to solve this great problem. Any suggestions will help greatly and I will send cookies to the winner(or at least a gift certificate) so let me know asap-
MikeC/coolsvt

Last edited:
Thanks-
I got an intake pipe from the internet and it moves the sensor before the maf-
I will move it back to the stock location and plug the hole. I will also replace the sensor if it does not fix the problem-
Mike

Back