• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Daytime Running Lights Disable on 99 SE Contour

P

PD2GETU

ok , Im getting aggrivated ... the dealer said to remove the daytime running light relay under the hood in the relay box , so i did , and the lights were off .... i thaught i was in the clear , when i tested all the lights one of the high beams was out , and i put the relay back in , and the headlamps were both on high beam with the switch on .... any way to disable the daytime running lights without losing a high beam ? The running lights stay on regardless if the engine is running or not ... i do night work , stake outs , repossessions , so i need darkness when i turn the headlight switch off . anyone know ?

Check your passenger compartment fuse box.

Fuses 17 and 18 are for the high beams, at least according to my owners manual, and I believe all the passenger comp fuse boxes are the same. Looks like they should be a 7.5 amp fuse.

Oh and welcome.

Friendly FYI this probably should have been in troubleshooting, although maybe you can't post there yet, I forget those rules\requirements

Last edited:
After you remove the DRL relay you need to insert a jumper in the socket to have normally functioning high beams. Do a search and you will find a photo.

After you remove the DRL relay you need to insert a jumper in the socket to have normally functioning high beams. Do a search and you will find a photo.

That's right, I forgot about the jumper being in there, I wonder if I still have mine somewhere?

Would the jumper only cause one high beam to be out and not both of them? I have a co-worker similar problem, only we don't remove her relay, just turn the high beams on and one is out.

***Edit*** Jumper sure does cause only one to be out, drivers side, just tested it.

Last edited:
daytime running lights off ....finally !

daytime running lights off ....finally !

:drool:Thanks all ! they are off , i just pulled the relay , and ran a ground jumper from the relay slot to the neg side of the battery cable ,and worked perfect !!

Relay slot to neg battery???? :help: You do realize that the DRL relay socket has a neg. terminal in there already right? just a small metal bar from one side to the other will do the same thing and avoid excess wiring.

DRL-good.jpg

Last edited:
ive been thinking about it. i might do it tomorrow? if its somewhat warm. i think it looks sick. ive seen the write up, but how easy was if for you
it was easy just follow the write up (what write up do you have:shrug:from the old forum :shrug: )

I'am going to hijack this thread now :cool: so I put a relay in after taking out the jumper and the DRL function works:cool: but my drivers side high beam does not work when I turn the rest of the lights on:confused: I have not checked the 7.5 amps fuse's mentioned but I will would this cause only one light to be out and why are there two fuse's:shrug:

Back