• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cold Air Intake Pic Request.

Hello all, I have a pic request.
I want to see some pics of your intake setups. Mine is crap and I want to get some ideas and what brands are the best.
Thanks in advance.
:cool:

Probably a Nautilus CAI is the best bang for your buck :shrug:

Cold_airSVTWeb.jpg.w300h225.jpg

And the best "bang" for your motor when it sucks water in on accident :nonono:. The rewards do not outweigh the risk.

Pud heatshield, svt UIM, svt TB, cone intake
newpics047.jpg

And the best "bang" for your motor when it sucks water in on accident :nonono:. The rewards do not outweigh the risk.

Pud heatshield, svt UIM, svt TB, cone intake
newpics047.jpg

Joe is right ive seen to many posts of guys blowing up there cars. Joe your setup looks great!!

Thanks Newsvt,
Skywalker and Tricker are some of the latest victims of the cold air intakes sucking in water. It is too bad. Tricker had a really powerfull 3L go and skywalker had a clean cougar that was like 1 payment away from being paid off go. They are both re-building their cars but I think neither will ever go back to a cold air intake setup like that.

Make or purchase a nice heatshield and get a good filter(not like mine, cheapo autozone). Good luck ;)

lol I got one of the filters, spectre brand right? also, isn't there some sort of part that is used to prevent water from getting into the engine if yo have a cold air intake, I know I have seen honda guys use them.

Yes there is a bypass valve you can put between pipes so that air takes the path of least resistance and wont pull water through the filter.

Usually the same people that install cold air intakes for the increased performance are the same people that talk bad about bypass valves possibly decreasing air flow.

I have an old school GMK (similar to the custom cougar's) intake extension with a BAT pipe.

100_1380.jpg

100_1382.jpg

Oddly enough, when I blew up my first 3L I didn't have the CAI on, it was just a short ram :laugh:

On the Cougar I have a short ram pipe, MAF adapter, AEM dry filter, and pudmunkie heatshield.

Right on, thanks for the pics, so the NPG intake is not good right? It sure looks cool, but not if there is the potential to blow up my motor. Diggin the heat shield 2. Cheers.:cool:

Here's my set up - SVT UIM/optimized TB/CTA Pipe/Pro-Flow MAFF/Custom filter adaptor/Blitz filter/lots of cold air feeds

ZX6Y3526.jpg

ZX6Y3512.jpg

Thought about the CAI kits but not brave enough to drill the hole that is required on the Mondy & personally don't think it will gain that much over my current set-up.

I've ran an in fender CAI on my Cobra for nearly four years now and I'm still on the stock motor and haven't had any problems. As long as you don't go out looking for puddles to run through I think you'll be fine. There is a splash shield there for a reason ;)

I'm thinking about the NPG cold air when I buy one for my car. Looks like a nice kit and isn't too terribly expensive.

Shannon

Likewise; I've had a CC CAI for 5 years now, driven daily year round in Ohio, with not even a hint of trouble. Look at the pic in post #13. There's a plastic splash shield under the filter and behind it, and the bumper surrounding the rest. The only way to get that much water in your intake is to drive in a puddle deep enough to submerge the filter. And it you're stupid enough to do that, you deserve to blow up your engine.

There's a plastic splash shield under the filter and behind it, and the bumper surrounding the rest. The only way to get that much water in your intake is to drive in a puddle deep enough to submerge the filter. And it you're stupid enough to do that, you deserve to blow up your engine.
x2
I have no reserve installing my NPG CAI this spring.
My Cobra had one that was way lower w/o a sheild.
-J

Back