• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Where did you run your amp power cable?

steelblueSE

Hard-core CEG'er
Is there an easy spot to run the power cable through the firewall/through the cabin? I'm not trying to run it underneath. I couldn't see any unused grommets on the fw. Pics or explanations are much appreciated!

Manual or automatic? Autos usually have a grommet available under the master brake cylinder. If you have a manual the best place is through two grommets under the drivers side wiper cowel

Remove the wipers, and the wiper cowl, then look roughly 9-12 inches towards the center of the car and there will be another rubber grommet that leads in to the upper driver's side floorboard area (just left of the brake/clutch area, and higher than visable.

449612_30_full.jpg

I just did this last week, took about an hour tops, from battery to the trunk. You will need to make a small cut through the insulation that is behind the grommet in the pic, but it's still the easiest way I have found yet.

I drilled a hole in the firewall just above the interior fuse panel and below the cruise control unit. I then ran the wire under the drivers side door sill and into the trunk. I currently have 0-guage run this way for my battery relocation.

Another spot if you have an auto is on the firewall were the clutch is supposed to be. Theres a rubbor plug there, I just pulled it out cut a small hole in it and ran the cable through there.

I found the clutch spot I think. It was right under my nose, took me 2 mins to run the cable.

On the ATX (just for search purposes) heres a pic with a better view so you can see where it should be located.

Remember this is for Automatic cars only. If your not sure if your car is Automatic or Standard, this picture is probably for you...

Click To Enlarge

Last edited:
Another spot if you have an auto is on the firewall were the clutch is supposed to be. Theres a rubbor plug there, I just pulled it out cut a small hole in it and ran the cable through there.

My parent's Fukus ZTW auto had a nice plastic plug where the clutch mounted. Very nice for a power cable. My wife's old ZX3 manual wasn't so convenient, obviously. I guess there is one good thing about automatics. :laugh:

I drilled a hole in the firewall just above the interior fuse panel and below the cruise control unit. I then ran the wire under the drivers side door sill and into the trunk. I currently have 0-guage run this way for my battery relocation.

Cool - this is exactly what I wanted to know. I'm going to be running 0 gauge to the truck for the stereo installation...

yeah I previously had 4 guage there for my amps so I just openne dup the hole I drilled alittle more and used a 0 guage fire wall bushing to run the cable through. work out well and it drops down the side of the footwell area right to the door sill trim panel. I pulled the drivers seat to make it easier to install.

Back