• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

COP How To w/Drawing

mosh

CEG'er
This may or may not belong in 3L, but I think that the most likely folks to try this have purchased a 2004 or 2005 motor with COP and want to keep it.

Disclaimer: This requires basic wiring skills and is best if soldered. Also, controversy (without much real data either way) exists about the benefits and risks of using COP. I drew this as a combo schematic and formatic drwg to make it easy to understand routing. I did mine on the motor to keep my mind clear about what went where.

I won't get too deep into how our ignition works, but everyone should know that their coil has 4 input wires: 12V power, and 3 inputs to fire the 6 coils. 2 cylinders are paired together, so when one fires, so does the other, thus one spark occurs at a useless point in the combustion cycle and is "wasted", so our ignition system is a "waste spark" system (if you know all this great, some folks don't). The pairing is 3/4, 2/6 and 1/5. All of this can be seen in your Haynes Manual or Ford CD.

To run COP we must supply the same 12V for power to each pair, and the same signal to each pair that they get with the coil system. The following picture shows how 12V is spread out to the input side of cylinders 1,2,3 and their output becomes the input for cylinders 4,5,6. The other or output side of 4,5,6 are connected to their respective signals (c1, c2, c3 as shown). This works really well if you get a Taurus motor with COP installed, you have all the wire you need, just needs some re-routing. You certainly can make one from scratch, it will take longer.

Hope this helps, ask questions about what's not clear.

CoilonPlug.jpg

Done:
COPinCar.jpg

Nice "how-to" I'll have to try it on one of my next 3L swaps. Too bad I've pitched most of the COP's on the previous motors we've gone through.

this is awesome. now I can save 100 dollars if I decide to try COP, hehe

in unrelated news, were'd you get the spiffy non SVT duratec plaque?

Thanks guys....I think it looks more modern with the COP ....starts easy too. That's a 99 3L plaque...common in junk yards. Soon to be replaced with a spiffy DURAtec ST badge from the UK.

Just out of curiosity. Did you measure the power draw of the coil pack to the COP setup? Just curious to see if it's close to the same.

I guess it can't be too bad otherwise you'd probably have a fried ECU.

I haven't. wasn't really worried for 2 reasons: 1) Plenty of Fords from the late 90's have been converted, and seem to be running fine, 2) A 95 has a separate ignition module and I have about 5 of them as spares. I may get around to it. I'm also looking at an MSD kit for COP that would address many of the concerns raised about extreme load conditions. If I go turbo I'll for sure do this.

Ah, I forgot about those, Excellent!!

shame I've only ever found two in the jy, when i find another, they'll probly give it to me free.

should look awesome on a mazda6 or zephyr engine cover once i have money to waste on prettifying the engine bay. I really hate the afterthought waterpump pulley cover.

The w/p pulley cover kind of serves the purpose of shielding the pulley and belt. The engine cover would only serve the purpose of limiting airflow and the amount of heat dissipated.

An engine, and all its parts, are beautiful. Why would you ever want to hide it behind some gaudy piece of plastic?

ok, then take your hood off two!

if you look around, most high end vehicles have engine covers. that is unless they actually have beautiful engines, like a ferrari, mclaren, ect

I like the cover because it makes it easy to have a cleanly engine bay, ie it comes off and you can wash it separately and hit it up with some tire shine.

i love it when information is declassified for the masses!

and nice colorful diagrams too. you did a good job on them!

EDIT: and if u want a plug-in option for where the coil goes, MAF extension plugs have a the other end on them that fits into the coil plug. dont ask me which ones, i think its mid 90's mustangs that have them. look for 4 wire MAF harness. make sure u get the right one!

I was reading on the other site where Dom said that this isn't quite right.
Quote:
Word of warning....

The diagram they are following on CEG is incomplete... I can't wait for them to start experiencing the side effects soon... Mine is not wired exactly that way - Just a sidenote to the CEG "COP" discovery.

Lol, that setup is known to cause high RPM misfires and poor spark output - It's in the thread they took it from... doh.gif

-Dom

Why wouldn't he say anything here, like he wants it to be such a huge secret and not tell anyone possibly how to fix it before they encounter problems....... :nonono:

Good find elraido.

Why wouldn't he say anything here, like he wants it to be such a huge secret and not tell anyone possibly how to fix it before they encounter problems....... :nonono:

Good find elraido.

I know. I was kind of on the line about putting that on here, but I don't want anyone to wreck their car because he wants it to be his secret.

I'm not sure what all the diagram is missing... It's a pretty simple and straightforward system.

If I had one of the newer Ford CD's i'd look at the COP diagram to see how that's run. Newest i've got is 2000...

Back