• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cold Air Box

cgumn

CEG'er
My SVT Cold Air Box. Fed from cowl and fender.

CIMG0631.JPG

Looks good. Great job man, kinda interesting to be honest with you. Tell us how you made it?

Took the air box out of a SVT Lightning truck, cut a hole for the fender ducted air and another for the cowl inducted air (after extensive fitting. Had to relocate the large wire connector and move the AC pressure hose over 1 1/2 inches to the passenger side to make room for the cowl intake hose. I then reshaped the strut tower a little for some more hose room. Then I cut an opening in the firewall to allow the hi-pressure air in from the cowl area of the windshield. Then I modified the plastic cowling to allow the air to blast down into the cowl from the windshield to the intake pick-up in the firewall. The intake pick-up has a flaired and screened end inside the cowl area that is shared by the wiper mechanism. It is elaborate but makes a big difference from 2500 rpm up. The fun thing is running it hard and then jumping out to feel how warm (COLD)the MAF is. It is always COLD! Not warm, COLD. I enclosed the MAF to keep it cold as well, not just the filter like most boxes. The SVT air box is thick construction with great heat holdout. And the best thing.... it's SVT all the way. This is my third air box and I am building my forth which will incorporate the full intake system and the cold air box as one complete system (1-piece). I am also adding a solinoid accuated flap to close off the cowl inducted air for cold weather operation when needed and a temp guage for the MAF.

The other benefit is the beautiful sound of the Duratech intake is now plumbed right infront of my dash!

Great write up for any future candidates :)

I've never seen anybody on here do that type of intake. so kudos again.

That looks a lot like a cheap cone filter from an autozone or pepboys. Please tell us thats not the case. Otherwise that actually impressed me.

Sorry it is a cheap filter (albet, with an open top for the fender ducted air to enter) I am looking for just the right K&N open top element that is 5.25-5.5 inch diameter at the base. So sorry for the let down, only temporary.

My advice is find a K&N for the size and then buy a decent filter by someone else. An actual K&N is probably just a little better at filtering than that generic filter and trust me thats not saying a lot. Look at a nice AFE or AEM dry media filter that wont use the oil our MAF sensors hate.

Can I buy that setup when you get the next version finished?

You could seriously make some bank if you put this together as a kit.
Buyer sends you the Lightning box and you send back the finished product.
I'd buy it in a hearbeat !!!!!

I'd

I'd

I'd like to see some pics of the car with the air box out...so we can see some of your mods to the strut tower and such...

Thank you for the feed back, much appreciated. On all mods I work hard to make them "factory finish" I am pulling the box out this weekend to fit a new intake idea. I will do a photo documentry on this system and I will keep you posted on the developement of the final 1-piece product. When asked what it's called, I refer to it as "CICAB" for "Cowl Inducted Cold Air Box.
Wait till you see the next generation :cool:

That is correct. The hidden problem with boxes is when you go from idle to WOT. You draw all the air that is available.. If the space in the filter, box, air tube is insufficient of a volume to ingest the motor will bog. This is resolved when air starts to flow when the car starts moving and forcing fresh air in the fender tubes of a forced air box. With my box being oversized and fed from both the fender and cowl there is sufficient air available to prevent the "slow start" from the line.

i like it cos it shields the MAF from heatsoak without having to relocate it... G.

Back