• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Oil Around Spark Plugs

Hey while changing my wires on my 98 zetec I noticed there was oil around the spark plugs. I am posting a photo. I am afraid to ask, does this mean I need a new valve cover gasket? ALso I used paper towels to soak up the oil, I have not changed the plugs yet as I do not want to get oil on top of the piston. Ideas? :shrug:

Attachments

• oil around plug.jpg
    oil around plug.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 0
Fel-pro ones are cheap at Autozone. IIRC they are $12, and just 12 10mm (I think) bolts to take off along with the timing cover and breather hose and spark plug boots. Absolute cakewalk.

I got the following price on line, $26.99 from Autozone. Same thing in Canada is $60.92 (PartSource) so I am gonna get one when I am on your side of the border in two weeks. Can anyone confirm this is the culprit to my leak? Is there any other way for oil to get into this area? FYI the plugs were tight.

^ I had the same problem. Every auto parts store around here wants $60+ for the gasket so I just used a thin layer of Hi-Temp RTV Silicone Gasket Maker around both surfaces of the gasket and it worked great. (for now). :laugh:

Dont think any $12 gasket exists. When you search a auto parts web site they will some times list a left and right side $12 EA. I think this is where the $12 price keeps coming up.
on my countour its one gasket. $25

After reading a post on a trans leak that was fixed by tighting the bolts. I wonder if I just tighten my valve cover bolt the leak would stop. Not sure if they are loose though or how tight they should be.

I have to laugh a little here :eek: When I first pulled the plug wire and saw all the oil around the plugs I just thought this was how my engine was made. I was proud at how clean the oil was. A second or two when by and I thought I better go check CEG. I found this thread and off i go again.

Loose bolts on valve cover

Loose bolts on valve cover

facing the engine from the front from left to right

I will call it plug 1 & 2 had oil around them the bolts in this area where loose. After looseing a tight one to see how tight they shoud be(hillbilly torqe) I tightend them slightly. What I will call plug 3 & 4 were clean. Hope that solves the leak.

Everyone that has me on ignore should take me off now because this is getting funner as I go.

Ok Soooo. I returned the valve cover gasket and glue to buy back the plugs I returned yesterday to buy the gasket and glue. I pull the 123 plus all are autolites 5364 but the 4 plug is a chapion RS15LYC.

Whats this about?

I have installed my new plugsAutolite XP Iridium XP5364 I afraid to start the thig though.

hrm, i replaced my valve cover gasket, cleaned the surface and everything, the oil came back on the spark plugs. Felpro gasket. now what? did i not tighten it enough or something? whats the torque specs? its only on the number 1 and 2 spark plugs.

I got the felpro from advance for $31, not in yet. Checked all valve cover studs, none of them are loose like uwintoday's. FYI on your plugs I put in Bosch quadruple electrode platinum. They were on sale @ partsource (Canadian).

the valve cover gasket is the problem bro.

you have to make sure the gasket is properley seated in the cover prior to installation, if not oil can still make its way past the seal.

the gasket should look similar to this for your application i believe:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=FEL&MfrPartNumber=VS50489R

yours is vct with engine code 3?

when i did mine i put small dabs in the groove of the cover every few inches to hold the gasket in place while reinstalling the cover.

Back