• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

FAQ: How-to use a Random Orbital Buffer/Polisher (Porter Cable 7424)

GTO Pete

CEG'er
There are many other random orbital buffers/polishers from various manufacturers with various speeds and attachments. Some examples are Porter Cable, Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee, etc.

You will find that the Porter Cable brand is the most readily available in kit form which includes various types of cutting pads and even polishes and waxes.

The following how-to describes my method for using a Porter Cable random orbital buffer/polisher. I use the most popular model - PC7424.

In this how-to I am polishing the paint of a 1995 Mercury Mystique that us heavily swirled. Here is the surface to be polished after a clay:
picture.JPG

1. Apply polish to pad
I apply the polish to the pad as shown below. Since the surface is heavily swirled, I am using an aggressive polish with the heaviest cut pad.
picture.JPG

2. Apply polish to paint
I dab the foam pad on the area I am going to work on. My personal preference is to spray the foam pad with some detailing spray. (You can use water if you choose.) I find this helps the polish "last" a little longer - it doesn't dry as quickly and I can work with it longer.
picture.JPG

3. I start at a low speed (~1000) and work the polish smoothly and quickly over the entire area to be worked. There is no need to apply pressure - just direct it. (The PC will not harm your paint unless you are using an extremely aggressive compound and pushing down for a long time.) I then turn up the speed to ~2000 - 2500 and work slower - about 1" per second from one end to the other. I then work back to where I started at the same pace overlapping about 2/3 of the previous pass. I continue this until the entire area is complete.
picture.JPG

1st pass: driver side to passenger side
2nd pass: front to back
3rd pass: driver side to passenger side
4th pass: front to back

By keeping the foam pad slightly damp, it keeps the polish from drying out too quickly.

4. Repeat
Move on to the next section that needs to be polished and repeat steps 1-3.

Last edited:
5. Buff
I prefer to complete a panel - in this case the hood - then buff it all out with a clean 100% cotton towel.
picture.JPG

6. Examine the paint
I examine the paint closely for swirls. Am I happy with the way it looks? Or do I want to remove more swirls? If you want to remove more swirls, repeat steps 1-3 until you are happy with the swirl level.

Note:
Depending on the agressiveness of the polish you used, you may need to follow with a light polish. Example: If you used Poorboy's SSR2.5, you should follow with Poorboy's SSR1. This will bring clean up the paint even further and really bring out the paint.

7. Apply sealant
Take you sealant of choice and apply with a finishing pad or by hand.

8. Clean your pads
Clean your pads immediately with a little dishwashing soap and warm water. Keep rinsing and squeezing until all the polish is gone from the pad. Do not let the pad sit with polish on it! Let pads air dry.

My review:
Like most people, I was scared that I would screw up my paint with the PC. It's actually very easy to use and the single best investment I have made. It has allowed me to remove swirls and reduce scratches like I could not do by hand. I practice frequently on my Mystique with a variety of polishes to try to find what works best for me. I've gotten better with practice and can remove swirls without much effort.

picture.JPG

HTH!

Porter Cable

Porter Cable

How much would one of those set you back? Where would I be able to buy one? The end results look absolutely amazing. I would love to be able to do that for myself.

Well, I have stumbled on to a tremendous deal. From Ebay I got Poorboy's ssr2.5. ssr1, sealant, natty's blue paste wax, and two different Mequiar's polishes for 38 bucks. Then my extremely helpful buddy is letting me borrow his P.C. polishers this weekend.

What I need to know is where I can buy cutting/polishing/foam pads for the buffer locally. I know of all the online places but I need them today. Do Autoparts stores carry them or should I go to an autobody equipment supplier (plenty of them around here)?

Also, if you could let me know what pads I would need that would be great!

TIA,
Jon

Try packshack or autogeek, look for the pads that fit your buddy's Machine, inch wise.

Well, I have stumbled on to a tremendous deal. From Ebay I got Poorboy's ssr2.5. ssr1, sealant, natty's blue paste wax, and two different Mequiar's polishes for 38 bucks. Then my extremely helpful buddy is letting me borrow his P.C. polishers this weekend.

What I need to know is where I can buy cutting/polishing/foam pads for the buffer locally. I know of all the online places but I need them today. Do Autoparts stores carry them or should I go to an autobody equipment supplier (plenty of them around here)?

Also, if you could let me know what pads I would need that would be great!

TIA,
Jon

Once again I need a local (non-internet) source for pads.

Ok the PC 7300 model uses a 6" pad and an odd 5/16-24 thread. Does anyone know if this is standard for all DA sander/polishers? They also list Home Depot and Lowes as dealers. Has anyone ever bought pads at either one of those locations?

Last edited:
Just to update,

I found some video links which should help those who are still on the fence get over...

Here's one on intermediate swirl removal and advanced swirl removal (referenced from autogeek.net)
just scroll down and there's links there about how to apply each different type of compound

http://www.autogeek.net/po.html

also here's a youtube video of essentially the same thing, but the more you learn the better I guess...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89323lmQ2LI

Back