• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3.0 Porting Pictures

mamisano

CEG'er
Hey all, here are some pictures of the heads I've been working on. I've been porting the 3.0 heads to work with my SVT intake using the Bugzuki plates and a rotary tool.

I used JBWeld Stick to create a full split port as I plan on keeping the IMRC plates.

The ports still need to be cleaned up :)

2 ports 90% complete, 3rd port just started
3 Dremel burs, a sanding roll and a Bugzuki porting template.

Head%20Porting%20006a.jpg

Same head, closer up:
Head%20Porting%20001a.jpg

Middle Port:
Head%20Porting%20004a1.jpg

Right Port:
Head%20Porting%20001a2.jpg

Looks like a fun job! Is there a specific way the JB Weld is put in there or is it slopped in there and then grinded away. I ask because I have no experience with it.

JBWeld Stick is like modeling clay before it hardens. Just mush it up to activate it and place it where needed. I also wet my fingers and smoothed the surfaces as it was drying.
Cures in about an hour and used the sanding roll to grind down. The burs are way too course to use on the JBWeld :)

Nice job! I did mine in a similar fashion, but I used JB Weld Qwik and masking tape. The JB Stick looks like it works well.

Nice job. JB Stick weld is the only way to go. Looks like a lot of work though. Let us know how it performs.

Good luck
Paul

Nice job. JB Stick weld is the only way to go. Looks like a lot of work though. Let us know how it performs.

Good luck
Paul

Yeah - but once you get the 1st port the way you like, the rest are MUCH easier.

It would have been much more difficult without your plates! I totally forgot that the primary ports were slightly smaller than the secondaries.
I was looking at the heads with the plate off and thought I screwed something up until I researched the port sizes, LOL.

Good luck man. Keep us posted :)

I really want to know how the car will feel im comparison to the standard 3.0L heads.

My ask as to why you doing that to oval port heads when you can get split port 3.0L heads? Just curious. Nice work though, hope everything works well. Keep us posted man!!

My ask as to why you doing that to oval port heads when you can get split port 3.0L heads? Just curious. Nice work though, hope everything works well. Keep us posted man!!

because the split port heads do not allow the water pump to be reused in our stock location. this means that an electric water pump is needed and they tend to fail often and at the worst time ....

Thanks for the feedback all. I am done with the intake ports on the 1st head and just finished up the intake bowls last night.

My Wife took the digital camera to work today but when she gets home I'll snap some more pictures, especially of the bowl work.

Next up is the exhaust side which looks like MUCH less bowl work and no JB Weld to deal with on the ports ;)

Then all I have to do is duplicate all that work on the other head, UGH!
The work is actually not that bad / hard - once you get the first port done, duplicate on the rest (never actually works that way). Usually goes like this:
Cylinder 1 - think I am 100% done (really 60%)
Cylinder 2 - duplicate and find areas to enhance, think okay, now I am 100% done (really 80%)
Cylinder 3 - duplicate cylinder 3 and again find areas to enhance (now at 100%)
Cylinder 1 - Go back and match to cylinder 3
Cylinder 2 - Go back and match to cylinder 3

LOL

Latest head porting pictures....

Gasket matched exhaust port:
exhaust-port.jpg

Minor bowl blending of the exaust ports:
exhaust-bowl.jpg

Unshrouding the intake valves:
unshrouding-intake-valves.jpg

Now, on to the next head!! LOL!

Head #2 - Intake Ports

Head #2 - Intake Ports

Stared working on the second head this week and finished up the intake ports today... here are some new pictures:

head2_intake-001w.jpg

head2_intake-004w.jpg

head2_intake-006w.jpg

head2_intake-007w.jpg

Back