• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Main engine harness question

CSVT#49

Addicted CEG'er
I've got some upgrades to do in my engine area and will have the upper manifold off. My engine harness crapped out on me a while back and I rewired it. Now I did a good job, but it would be nice just to have an OEM harness with OEM connectors on it all around.

With that said... do all of the 2.5L Duratec engines (Including the SVT) share the same main engine harness? I would think they would, but I'm not sure hence the question.

all v6 duratec do. even the 03-05 taurus harness would work, but the lengths would be a little different. you getting a whole harness or just yankin one at the yard?

I do believe the only difference in the engine harness, ie fuel injector harness is for the return vs returnless cars since the injectors had different connectors.

I would try to get one from the same year if possible.

Any OBDII V6 fuel charging harness should work, ie. 1996 thru 2000, with the following exceptions (This includes automatics as well.):

1. non-svt will have a slightly different TPS wire out
2. Later return style cars as mentioned above have different connectors for the fuel injectors.

These differences or any other incidentals I missed are easily dealt with if you really need a better harness. The main harness assy has more variations and it's more critical that you get one from the same or very similar model; or be prepared to be creative.

I modified a 1995 atx harness to fit my mtx car because of the defective wiring and it worked out perfectly.

I dunno for the fuel injector harness. I have 4 spares. everyone of them is different in some way.

I'd be hesitant suggesting to just go grab ANY harness.

Pre-98 main engine harness will not work in post 98s...

post-98 contour will work in Cougars, pre-98 will not...

01-02 Cougar harness won't work in a 99-00...

Returnless harness won't work in a Return style contour or cougar...

Atx harness can work in a MTX, but has to be modified, but MTx harness in a ATX would be a pain in the arse! Many extra wires needed...

And there are differences between injectr harnesses, too, between ATx and MTX, return and returnless, other than just the injector clips...
like Fuel pressure regulator connector, for instance.

To make things easier, just find a harness that matches your Transmission, fuel style, and year of vehicle...

BTW, main issue for the pre-98 to post-98 harnesses is that there is NO PATS wiring in the pre-98 harness, to match up with the internal PATS system of the post-98s...

Honestly, just trust what I listed... I went through 4 ATX-mtx swaps, and 2 mtx-atx swaps of all different year cougars, and using post and pre 98 SVt parts.... I learned WAY too much about those harnesses! :)

Last edited:
all v6 duratec do. even the 03-05 taurus harness would work, but the lengths would be a little different. you getting a whole harness or just yankin one at the yard?

Yanking one at the yard.

Pre-98 main engine harness will not work in post 98s...

post-98 contour will work in Cougars, pre-98 will not...

01-02 Cougar harness won't work in a 99-00...

Returnless harness won't work in a Return style contour or cougar...

Atx harness can work in a MTX, but has to be modified, but MTx harness in a ATX would be a pain in the arse! Many extra wires needed...

And there are differences between injectr harnesses, too, between ATx and MTX, return and returnless, other than just the injector clips...
like Fuel pressure regulator connector, for instance.

To make things easier, just find a harness that matches your Transmission, fuel style, and year of vehicle...

BTW, main issue for the pre-98 to post-98 harnesses is that there is NO PATS wiring in the pre-98 harness, to match up with the internal PATS system of the post-98s...

Honestly, just trust what I listed... I went through 4 ATX-mtx swaps, and 2 mtx-atx swaps of all different year cougars, and using post and pre 98 SVt parts.... I learned WAY too much about those harnesses! :)

A lot of good information there. Thanks.

FYI some early 99 V6 Cougars don't have a knock sensor so there is no connector for it in the harness. My Cougar and the one I worked on recently are both like this.

FYI some early 99 V6 Cougars don't have a knock sensor so there is no connector for it in the harness. My Cougar and the one I worked on recently are both like this.
None of the Contours, (except SVT's), Mystiques & Cougars built between 3/1/98 & 5/3/99 had a knock sensor, or the associated wiring for it.

Back