• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Trunk will not open

my98SVTturbo

Hard-core CEG'er
I just recently instaled an OEM rear spoiler on my contour. Probelm is since i installed my trunk wont open unless i put something under the lever to prop it up. What would be a fix to this?

New trunk struts and a spring popper.

Spring Popper
spring_popper.jpg

Last edited:
I had the asme issue when I put a spoiler on mine, but mine would still hold on a good day.

Simply order and install trunk struts for lids with a spoiler. You don't need a trunk popper spring thing.

My car has a spoiler which I assume is factory, but I don't see a place in the trunk for the spring to be screwed in. Also, it looks like a spring in the position shown in the picture would be pressed against the plastic fascia in my trunk. Were there certain cars that were built to rely only on the trunk struts?

You gotta drill a hole for the spring thing, if it didn't have one. Somewhere on this website was the part number at one time. I had to order online because the dummies at Ford (2 dealerships) swore that it was not a viable part number. I made sure I went back and showed them the Ford packaging and number just to make them feel stupid. Use the pic for where to install. No spoiler, I just got real tired of trunk lid not popping up enough to lift a gap so I could open it when I had something under one arm or holding something, and keys in other hand, you had to set something down to open trunk. Popper worth its' weight in gold.

Go to the contour.org main page, then faq-common problems and complaints-quirks-trunk lid will not pop open, for the part number.

Go to the contour.org main page, then faq-common problems and complaints-quirks-trunk lid will not pop open, for the part number.
Or you could click on the link in post no. 2 of this thread.

Well, forgive me for being stupid, or blind, or maybe BOTH? And I read that post too. The pic looked familiar. Part still worth its' weight in gold...........cheap, too, that is, if they can get it.

Back