• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The Volvo gets some stripes

Buddy Palumbo

Hard-core CEG'er
My rat rod-inspired Volvo Amazon got a bit of color today (aside from the satin black , that is) . A friend of mine was getting his t-bucket striped , so the guy laid down a bit of striping on my Volvo while he was into the swing of things . I have to do some more work on the Volvo , so all I had him do at this point was a bit on the trunk . Once I get the licence plate & antenna frenched-in , the scallops painted on the front & that sorta stuff , he's gonna do a bunch more for me . Check it out ...

getting started on the red :

PC150022.jpg

working away :

PC150025.jpg

starting on the white :

PC150027.jpg

Done ! (for now)

PC150032.jpg

Once I'm done with the frenched plate & blend the paint in , he'll "pull" the stripes down along the sides a bit .

daaaaaaaaaaaang! that is some von dutch type :censored::censored::censored::censored:e right there! i want a rat rod.

The guy's definately got skills . I'd have to guess he's in his mid-20's - he'll make a name for himself for his striping , no doubt . I'll gladly be passing on some work his way .

The Volvo would be done by now , had I not gotten that damned accident that f'd up my back/neck . I've been plugging away at it here lately , trying to get it done to use this winter . I welded up the sidechrome holes and the hood emblems/trim to smooth it out a bit , so that slowed progress a bit . The sides & stuff are nearly done and ready for paint - I can't wait . It's gonna get the scallops on the nose & the rest of the mods in spring . I've got the door/window seals ready to go , and the snow tires are ready to bolt on once it's painted black . Just need to find some lake pipes & dummy spots to complete the look . I can't wait !

very nice work.

ive never heard of/seen your volvo. im assuming its an older one? and i mean, from the OLD volvo days?

cool. when i was a kid, my buddy's dad had an old school volvo. it was beat up but he had it since new i believe. he made good money as a banker and his wife drove a lexus, but he insisted on daily driving that old clunker, lol. then i later learned that like many old school cars, they too have their following. havent really seen too many around though.

very noice!!!
i have been wanting to get into striping..i just don't have the creativity.
love Rat Rods!!!!

cool. when i was a kid, my buddy's dad had an old school volvo. it was beat up but he had it since new i believe. he made good money as a banker and his wife drove a lexus, but he insisted on daily driving that old clunker, lol. then i later learned that like many old school cars, they too have their following. havent really seen too many around though.

The old Volvos definately have their cult following , for good reason . Not too many folks rat-rod 'em out though , even though they have cool lines .

very noice!!!
i have been wanting to get into striping..i just don't have the creativity.
love Rat Rods!!!!

I don't know ... you're pretty creative - even with car-type stuff , lol ;) . hell , you laid out the flames on your hearse , didn't ya ?? They turned out pretty darn nice . Practice makes perfect , or at least as close as possible .

Dang man, those look nice! Any more recent overall shots of the Volvo? I still think that's gonna look sick when you're done with it.
The t bucket is pretty freakin sweet too, I love the V8 logo punched in the bomber buckets with the mexican blanket treatment. Both cars look like very sweet projects indeed.

Always enjoyed stripping, wish i could get started with it.

BTW I dont think the term "Rat rod" is really appreciated by true enthusiasts.

Allen, aren't those the Volvos that have the twin Stromberg carburetors that you have to quit your day job to tune?

Looks like a neat setup there -- good to see you making progress with it. :cool:

Always enjoyed stripping, wish i could get started with it.

BTW I dont think the term "Rat rod" is really appreciated by true enthusiasts.

Some people don't really like the term rat rod , but the TRUE enthusiasts don't care , as long as you drive 'em !

Allen, aren't those the Volvos that have the twin Stromberg carburetors that you have to quit your day job to tune?

Looks like a neat setup there -- good to see you making progress with it. :cool:

The original carbs are a twin S.U. setup , and work very well . They're not really that hard to work with - not nearly as hard as some would have you think . Plus , don't forget , I work with 'em every day :) . If people think S.U.'s are hard to get tuned , try tuning a side-draught Weber ... they're a PITA to get right (and can be expensive , 'cause parts are $$) . This one's gonna stay with these carbs till the engine's built up .
The car's nearly painted - probably after x-mas it'll be suede .

A pic of the engine bay :

P5130438.jpg

Back